• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Borgeson P/S box '68 Charger

44070dart

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
I'm ordering a new box for my '68 and was wondering if I will need the steering coupler also. Is it necessary to cut the shaft.

I'm ordering a new box for my '68 and was wondering if I will need the steering coupler also. Is it necessary to cut the shaft.
This may help

Apparently the Borgeson box uses a different coupler than the factory steering box. Also, I'm 90% sure you'll have to unbolt your steering column to install the box/coupler. BE VERY CAREFUL not to put any upward force (prying or banging) on the steering column or you'll break two tiny little plastic pins that hold the inner/outer stering shaft (it's like an antenae). It can be fixed, but the repair is a pain in the butt

I installed the Borgeson on my '68 and the new coupler that was included did not require cutting the column.

If you order it from Bergman Auto Craft, you'll get everything you need without cutting anything. They are a sponsor here on this site! :)

I went with Bergman too. Bergman Auto Craft, BAC.
Yeah, this is not a cheap upgrade but going with Bergman gets you a few perks. FIRST, it is a complete kit that is a 100% bolt in with no cutting, welding, it is 100% reversible if you decide to go back to the factory setup.
Secondly, Peter is great at providing advice if you run into trouble on the installation.
Thirdly, he is a sponsor of this site. THAT means that his contributions do help pay for the operating expenses here, keeping the engine running.

I had a manual steer in my 68, it did require cutting, But if it has power it does not. That were the instructions back in 2019 when I did mine i still have the piece on my shelf.

I went with Bergman too. Bergman Auto Craft, BAC.
Yeah, this is not a cheap upgrade but going with Bergman gets you a few perks. FIRST, it is a complete kit that is a 100% bolt in with no cutting, welding, it is 100% reversible if you decide to go back to the factory setup.
Secondly, Peter is great at providing advice if you run into trouble on the installation.
Thirdly, he is a sponsor of this site. THAT means that his contributions do help pay for the operating expenses here, keeping the engine running.
I agree with Kern Dog. Go with Bergman. I did, and I'm completely satisfied.

If you have manual steering now you’ll likely have to cut the shaft, and yes a different coupler is required. Some use the u-joint borgeson style coupler and others use the coupler sold by Bergman which most closely resembles the OEM coupler. If I ever did a Borgeson box, which I recently decided against doing, I WOULD us the coupler available from Bergman Auto Craft. If you have an oem 68 power steering box you’ll probably have also upgrade to a saganaw style box and bracketry, and I believe a power steering cooler is also recommended.

Auto Transport Service
Back