• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake pedal removal??

woodylxrx

Local time
8:47 AM
Reaction score
I got a '69 Satellite and I'm trying to remove the brake pedal. It's an automatic and I need to put in the clutch/brake pedal assembly in for the manual trans. Can anybody help??

I did this on my '68 about a year ago. The easiest way is to remove the dash panel with the gauges, and the steering column. You can then use an extention and a swivel socket to remove the bolts. You will also have to remove the linkage from the master cylinder. There are a few brackets under the dash that also have to be removed. Don't forget that you will need a stud plate that goes thru the firewall next to the master cylinder. This helps support the clutch assembly. Since it is an auto you will have to drill the holes thru the firewall. There is markings if you look close enough. It's not an easy job, on your back half twisted...but it can be done and to me it was worth it. I have a list of parts for the conversion to 4 speed if you need it.

Last edited:
You can leave the dash in place...but remove the driver seat and steering column first. Then you should be able to do what #2 above said.

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove the small plastic cover on the dash - under steering column - 4 x screws, and disconnect column wiring loom (unplug). Remove 4 x bolts on firewall brace - they hold the column to the firewall
3. Undo the cover on the steering box coupler -and make sure everything is clear - you will need some help with this to pull the column out eventually
4. Carefully undo the 3 x nuts under the steering column bracket - 2 at the top, and one on the right hand side half-way to firewall - do not let the column drop (make sure you take note of ground wires - these get refitted later)
5. With your assistant guiding the column, carefully pull the entire column into the car
6. Column may need some rotation while pulling it out if you have the lever attached for lockout linkages fitted.

If in doubt....step back and have a look at the job...then proceed with caution.....you will see how it works.

I hope that helps :)

Auto Transport Service
Back