• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Sticky---if it can pass the grade

AMX364

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Brake Sticky maybe

Let’s start off on the master cylinders. Single or dual reservoir master cylinders. Single works to all 4 drum brakes. Pressures can be changed by different size wheel cylinders, very old school. I know that it exists, but do not remember any of how to tweak the sizes for different results. Should you, NO instead use the aftermarket adjustable valve to lower the pressure to the rears. Single master cylinders were on older cars, the problem is when it fails ALL the brakes fail, except the parking brake. Which has about 20 % braking by my opinion, if it is set up correctly. Sometimes it can give some warning that there is a problem, if it feels “funny” pay attention. In this regard the dual reservoir is much safer, most of the times only one side will fail at a time. You can still stop, will be scary depending on traffic.

Dual master cylinders if both reservoirs are bout the same sizes, then drum brakes. If one reservoir is bigger then the larger size goes to disc brakes. Location of reservoir does NOT have any bearing on front reservoir, it can be large or small. Larger size always goes to the Disc brakes.

Can you convert a drum master to work with discs? Yes you can, should you? Maybe, the issue is will the reservoir push enough volume. How do you tell, try it and see if it works. Drum dual master cylinders have a residual check valve to maintain a small pressure on the wheel cylinders, to have a faster take-up response. This valve is located where the brake line connects to the master cylinder. Take a small self tapping screw, long enough to grip it with pliers and use the pliers to remove the inside line fitting. The valve and spring is under here, very small. Remove the one going to the front brakes. Although I have done this and got away with it, it is not recommended. Why did I try this? I had a car with a newish master cylinder and could not buy a master cylinder for disc brakes and manual brakes. I removed the manual brake setup and swapped in the power booster setup and sold the car that way. For me the manual brakes worked even if the motor was not running, still have that car. It is always better to go with a new master cylinder that is suitable for your car and if power braking or manual brakes.

Brake fluid- dot 3, 4 or 5. IMHO for a car that will not be driven very much AND has new brake parts, I do like the dot 5 fluid, other then the cost. However there is a lot of more current information on the fluids and more research should be done before making many fluid changes, other then flushing out the system.

You might have to replace all your brake lines. The single master cylinder uses a multi line connection about 36 inches from the master cylinder. On mine and several others the lines could not be taken off cleanly, rusted on. The line going to the rear brakes is where the adjustable valve should be installed. The line going to the disc brakes(larger size) could run to a 3 way connector. One line to the master cylinder, one line to left and last line to right. The right side line CAN be made with the engine in the car, but is much easier if it is out. The front disc brakes run at full pressure all the time and the rear drums at a reduced pressure.

If you do replace brake lines by yourself, it is not hard to do. You will need a decent flaring tool, but not the top of the line tools. I normally use a very old Snap-On flaring tool. I use the steel brake tubing in a roll from like Eastwood with the fittings. I do not recommend using SS tubing, because it is hard to flare and hard to prevent leaking. It might be good for a pretty if you can buy it pre-bent for your car, but not for custom work. If you are making your own lines start with the hardest line, passenger side along the firewall. Try to use your old lines as a template; the gentle curve across the firewall can take up some extra length. The drivers side has many tight bends, but it really is the easiest to make. The line going to the rear is long, but mostly straight line. On the master cylinders sometimes Mopar will use a 9/16-18 fitting, if not it will be 9/16-20 which is a very common fitting. A assortment of fittings for the master cylinder is useful to have.

Imperial 3/16 bending tool 364-FH-03 about 42 dollars on EBay, this tool is really neat for working brake lines. Clean tight bends, no other bender that I have came anywhere close to this. Read the reviews on what others say about it.

Clamps, Plain AN742-D3 Aluminum http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/an742.php

41 cents per clamp, looks very close to what the factory used. I did cheat and pop riveted them in, looks clean. Will be a bear to remove. The rubber mounted line clamps do not live long near oil.

Brake tubing wrap.

Right Stuff Detailing GGS316S-20 - Right Stuff Detailing Gravel Guard Spring Material

Summit Racing® Armor Line Guards SUM-220266----better priced

Bend the lines and before making the last flare, use the spring wrap, leaving spaces to mount the lines and to make that last flare. If done right, you mainly copy how the old lines were run and protected.

Valves – If all parts are close to stock and you can get the correct new proportioning valve. It gets harder to want to use really old brake parts, but if yours are working correctly, then by all means use them. If you a well away from stock then use a adjustable aftermarket valve. You can mount it under the if its location is protected from damage. Might be better by the master cylinder, I like the newer Wilwood unit(Wilwood Disc Brakes 260-15048) which can mount under the master cylinder. You can modify the bracket to fit better by removing the spacers and maybe make it fit your master cylinder and mounting. I have never been able to use the included brake lines in addition to SS they are very short. This valve uses no other connectors or adapters, no 3 way and all tubing connections are well marked. It will require custom brake lines.

Adjusting valve – you can get fairly close by hard stops around 20 mph and a spotter to tell you front or rear lockup. Most valves are marked fairly well. On a daily driver it can be hard to find the sweet spot for braking pressures, dry, wet and icy. On one car I went to a empty clear parking lot when there was glare ice on the roads and tweaked the valve till I had clean stops. After that the brake valve was left alone, the wet road braking was correct also. Much easier to set for dry only. Glare ice in Texas does not happen often, but this was a daily driven car.

14 inch rims and disc brakes. With the proper kit it can be done, you will have to search for the best kit for your application. If you can go to 15 inch rims most common kits can fit. If going to largest rotors and calibers you can fit then larger rims will be needed. You also should get the highest cost and shortest braking distances, hopefully.

Parking brakes are often misadjusted, if this happens you will need to loosen the cable adjustment. Next step remove rear drums and adjust them fairly snug, should still turn easily. I like a homemade tool that can snag the adjuster lever and allow you to loosen the brake shoes if you get them too tight. You would need to make such a tool before you can’t turn the drums. You can not buy it, so just a little effort is all that is spent. One end pulls the lever, the other end set to push the lever. Use a good heavy gauge wire. You will have to fit both this tool and a adjuster tool in the brake slot on the backing plate at the same time. You might only need to make one side for your car and see if you ever need to make the push side later. Drum systems are not as common as they used to be.

Caliber mounting – Front or rear, the only real issue is sway bar clearance and brake hose routing. Do not forget to check when the wheels are turned lock to lock for issues. Those you will have to correct if it hits the wrong things.

These things are just my opinions. But I try not to make many bad mistakes, it is always more expensive to do it a second time. Also if I do this correctly it would make a good sticky IMHO. The better experts will add as they see fit.

All brake lines should always have a double flare. Pressures run up to 1500 psi.

edit: If a newer master cylinder uses bubble fittings, then you would have too also. For the older stuff it was always double flared.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back