• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffer shaft mod ideas needed

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
So I got a 2” thick abrasive wheel that I want to put on my buffer but even with taking out the spacer it fits flush to the end. I need about another 1/2 inch for the nut. I don’t have a mill or lathe so I can’t turn down the shoulder for more wheel clearance.

Seems like this maybe a common issue that might have a simple solution? Ideas?

IMG_0450.jpeg

IMG_0451.jpeg

So I got a 2” thick abrasive wheel that I want to put on my buffer but even with taking out the spacer it fits flush to the end. I need about another 1/2 inch for the nut. I don’t have a mill or lathe so I can’t turn down the shoulder for more wheel clearance.

Seems like this maybe a common issue that might have a simple solution? Ideas?

View attachment 1569165

View attachment 1569166
Get a sleeve nut the correct thread.
You should beable to run the clamp washers also.
Home Depot , Grainger .
00-NSLEEVE-SS_1__51928.png

Get a sleeve nut the correct thread.
You should beable to run the clamp washers also.
Home Depot , Grainger .
View attachment 1569179
How would that fit on the end of the shaft as there are no threads left? Would I have to open the disc up/ enlarge the wheels hole to insert the sleeve? Here ate a few pics of the wheel on the 5/8 arbor.

IMG_0453.jpeg

IMG_0452.jpeg

How would that fit on the end of the shaft as there are no threads left? Would I have to open the disc up/ enlarge the wheels hole to insert the sleeve? Here ate a few pics of the wheel on the 5/8 arbor.

View attachment 1569197

View attachment 1569198
Well crap, your right on that.
If a guy bored the hole you would need a bushing / sleeve for the rest of the inside.
I'm not sure what the wheel is made of.
Can you just get a thinner wheel ?

Well crap, your right on that.
If a guy bored the hole you would need a bushing / sleeve for the rest of the inside.
I'm not sure what the wheel is made of.
Can you just get a thinner wheel ?
Lol I bought it for its meat! Like asking a Texan to eat a petite steak as he comes home from the range! Im thinking of ZZ-Tip now geez….

Be aware that two things happen with buffers turned into grinders. The bearings or motors fail, and vibration will cause the grinding wheels to explode. I would suggest making guards for your grinding wheels to keep the red stuff from leaking from your fingers. If you make some guards for the wheels you could get a washer and a lock collar for the main diameter part of the shaft and counterbore your abrasive wheel on one side to the diameter of the shaft deep enough to put the washer spacer and nut on the other side. Then you will be able to secure the grinding wheel for temporary use.

lock collar.jpg

Be aware that two things happen with buffers turned into grinders. The bearings or motors fail, and vibration will cause the grinding wheels to explode. I would suggest making guards for your grinding wheels to keep the red stuff from leaking from your fingers. If you make some guards for the wheels you could get a washer and a lock collar for the main diameter part of the shaft and counterbore your abrasive wheel on one side to the diameter of the shaft deep enough to put the washer spacer and nut on the other side. Then you will be able to secure the grinding wheel for temporary use.

View attachment 1569294
Was thinking the same thing using a collet. I really like the one pictured! Do you know the name of that style or where I can get it?

The abrasive wheels I use are like scotchbrite and not heavy but super light and soft about equal to 200 grit. I can easily open the hole to move past the existing shoulder.

Ah 2 piece shaft collar! Found some!! Thank you!

Those scotchbrite wheels are excellent... Won't cut much but they deburr and polish well...

You need to contact you yi mo ju chang for there adapter to mount the wheel
I called them they said “One order egg roll and two chow meains”. I asked for a wheel adapter too…..

Yeah, hopefully your you yi mo ju chang wheel does what the 3M wheel does... I'm sure it was cheaper.... 3M is kinda proud, but their scotchbrite wheel rocks..

Yeah, hopefully your you yi mo ju chang wheel does what the 3M wheel does... I'm sure it was cheaper.... 3M is kinda proud, but their scotchbrite wheel rocks..
I eat a lot of chowmein.

I’ll let you know when my collets get here and try it out.

Just received the collets. Ised Amazon. Got 4 for $10 shipped! Haven’t run it yet probably tomorrow. My abrasive wheel system is all set.

IMG_0464.jpeg

IMG_0465.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back