• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can anybody determine "Date of build, DATA and other info" from just a V.I.N ?

Best place for a fender tag is AG Backeast in Grand Junction, Colorado. You MUST show proof of ownership (title/registration in YOUR name) AND either a copy of the original build sheet OR the original fender tag...only then will they make a new one for you. I believe they'll also accept the Chrysler Historical IBM tag information, as well. Call them and ask.

http://www.datatags.com/

Making tag and making an accurate tag are two different things. He can make one, but unless you have the original tag to copy from, don't expect an accurate one.

Making tag and making an accurate tag are two different things. He can make one, but unless you have the original tag to copy from, don't expect an accurate one.

I had one made several years ago by them and was quite happy with the end result. I compared it to another car I had at the time, and saw nothing out of place with the repop tag. They used a copy of the build sheet and the semi-mangled original fender tag, which had been damaged in an accident years prior.

I had one made several years ago by them and was quite happy with the end result. I compared it to another car I had at the time, and saw nothing out of place with the repop tag. They used a copy of the build sheet and the semi-mangled original fender tag, which had been damaged in an accident years prior.

Im not too sure if what you stated 69Coronetrt is 100 percent correct.
Please forgive me but;
From what I understand, 1967 and before, ther is a data Base of VINs "on" IBM Punch cards AND....the info is on the IBM cards.
However, POST 1967, starting with 1968, the Data was lost in a Fire.

Can someone else provide info supporting this?

That is what I understand as well, yes.
However when I spoke with who ever I spoke with there, they told me that they had approximately 100 - 68 vehicles in the file. Not many by comparison but a few.

Im not too sure if what you stated 69Coronetrt is 100 percent correct.

I do not know for a fact that the tag discussed in this thread was made by AG but it shows the lack of attention paid by 'someone' that charges for tags.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?46004-67-gtx

We do know this is his work: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?50557-67-GTX-Reproduction-Fender-Tag

I do know for a fact he made a bad tag for my car.

Can he make tags? Yes.
Can he make accurate tags. Maybe. We do know he can make, and charge for, bad ones.

Use him at your own risk.

Yes. IBM cards do exist for (some/most) 67's and earlier.
I've heard various stories and explanation about 68 and later.

Thanks Coronetrt,

Im sorry man, I "phrased" that one incorrectly...
Yup, you are correct in that aspect.

I meant to say...please forgive me..I meant to say that the DATA "MAY" be available if the IBM card can be found in the archives...
Unlike the LOST DATA from 1968 and up.....

The DATA may not be 100 percent correct OR COMPLETE but I'd rather have 70 percent of a TAG than no tag.
That is my aim.

Coronetrt,
My bad....
I always get "GOOD INFO" from you.
Quality of a TAG isnt what I meant, simply the ability to get "one" for the 1967 Plymouth.

- - - Updated - - -

Probably...but does Chrysler historical know the differences in coding between plants or will they give you a tag that is not correct for your car?

Hmm,
Good question Coronetrt,
I do know the car was purchased in Mass.

By the way, I did read the thread (s) you supplied back in 2012 or 2013,
Quite interesting...

Poor quality TAGS being reproduced...

You have a suggestion for me Coronetrt?

You have a suggestion for me Coronetrt?

Yes, consider if HAVE to have a tag or just really want one.

Consider that you will be paying not an insignificant amount of money for something that is, 1) probably, not accurate 2) controversial 3) could raise questions about the validity of the car that you do not want raised. Quite often it is better to not have a tag than a bad tag.

If you positively HAVE to have a remade tag, do all the research your self. Take the time to find as many tags from the same plant and about the same time as your car was built. What was coded, when it was coded and even where it was coded changed during the year. Be a good consumer. KNOW what you want before you have one made. Do not rely on the tag maker. History tells me they probably do not know any better than anyone else what should or should not be on a made up tag. What you provide may not be 100% but chances are what you learn will get you a whole lot closer than what someone else will provide.

Consider using the term 'REMADE' in place of the VON to alert future buyers that what they are looking at is an approximation of a tag, not the actual accurate tag. It's always better to be honest and upfront as what has been changed on a car. It's especially important to do that with a fender tag, one of the critical pieces of documentation.

my 2 cents.....

Thanks 69Coronetrt,
Is it true then that the car "may" have the IBM card somewhere "archived" AND that IBM card can determine the cars options, build date etc?
I can not find the IBM card under/over the Glove box nor any paperwork under passenger seat & or rear seat.

Im doing what:
Flypaper
Chargerpilot and...
Khryslerkid suggested...$45 to Chrysler for the letter and info

Thanks 69Coronetrt,
1)Is it true then that the car "may" have the IBM card somewhere "archived" AND that IBM card can determine the cars options, build date etc?

2)I can not find the IBM card under/over the Glove box nor any paperwork under passenger seat & or rear seat.

1) Yes. What they will send you is a copy of the IBM build card from a microfiche scan. (see below). You could consider that the master card from which all other documents associated with that car derived. That's why getting a copy of the card is important. It's the initial factory document. Be forewarned...a copy of the IBM card may exist but in some cases they were scanned very poorly and are difficult, if not impossible, to read. Also be alert, the decode the factory gives you may be incorrect. That's what happened with the GTX in the AG Backeast thread. What the buyer got was an incorrect decode from someone not familiar with all the nuances of IBM cards and tags. IF you get a card, there are people on the boards that can decode the card to ensure you got a proper decode. Trust...but verify.

2) Let's not use the generic IBM card to limit ourselves to any one document. The IBM card format was used for other purposes too. In the second case, it was used as an inspection/build verification tool. (see below) This card can be found in cars but it is highly unlikely. It was usually thrown away during the build.

Attachments

• C253111779.jpg
    C253111779.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 69_IBM_800.jpg
    69_IBM_800.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 96
Auto Transport Service
Back