• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can anyone tell me what this is?

generaljmwlee

Local time
1:56 AM
Reaction score
this part was on my parts car but not on my car that is being restored. can anybody tell me what it is and what it does? any help would be awsome.

road runner1 001.jpg

My guess would be a starter relay. But don't worry about it, cause it certainly isn't factory

all the wire ran up towards the headlight thought it was driving light relay or something and didnt have any heavy wires going to it

Well it was just a guess.

Trace the wires to see where they actually go. Wherever it is, I'm betting that was all wired in to compensate for some original wiring that got torched etc...

thanks was justworried that i needed it. my dad remembers seeing them he just dosent remember what it was for

If the car was equipped with hidden headlights, it may have been a relay for the doors.

Well having owned a sack full of 69 runners (including all bodies and engines available) I can tell you that I've never seen anything like that on any of my cars.

Any extraneous holes for extra lights or anything like that?

Rust and pine needles :rolling: Sorry, couldn't resist....

My guess it's a relay to run auxiliary driving lights or for headlights. I too have never seen this on any of the cars I had.

I didn't consider it being used to run a gonkulator, but you could be right. But would it be the three valve or four valve variety?

Interesting. It looks just like the starter relay in my Challenger. It's even in the same location.

That isn't anywhere close to where the starter relay is on an E body. In the pic below the yellow arrow shows the location of the starter relay on a 70 E body. The RED arrow shows the approximate location of the item on his car.....back by the master cylinder. A place that doesn't even provide for something to be mounted on an E body

4motor_r_arrow.jpg

Geez. You're right. I have no idea what I was looking at. I just saw it was on the inner fender, and totally blanked on the master cylinder. Duh! It does still look similar, though. Nice pic, by the way. Is that the Runner you had back in the 90's?

Nosir. That's the 70 440 Six Pack R/T Challenger I restored. It left for Florida then Massachusetts in early 2004. I really miss that car

Auto Transport Service
Back