• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can't Find Old Friends the Old Fashioned Way Any Longer

I have a friend since we were kids friend back in MN. This guy truly should have been born in the 30's or 40's. He patently refuses anything to do with anything related to technology. He's never been on the internet, doesn't have and won't get a cell. I know he'd be happy if we were still back in the party line days. His only source of news is the local Mpls paper which is as thin as a slice of deli turkey) and the TV news. His home was built in 1910 and if you walked into it today you'd think you'd walked onto a movie set of a period 1910 home in virtually every respect. It's not been long ago that he switched from a boiler in his basement to a furnace. My wonderment about this guy, even tho I've known him all my life is how he continues on and now with EVERYTHING going AI how will he continue into the future at our ages. Never been married, few friends but a good sized, good family that all get along. I just think the frustrations of trying to get anywhere with anything has to be an absolute @&@*%! He's still in that category of those who won't call long distance because it might cost him a buck or two. He got laid off from his longtime warehouse job 20 years ago and never looked for another job. There's nothing anyone can say to bring him out of this world he lives in. Anytime you try to feed him some current info, or an easier way he'll just say "I know" and that's it. It's his life so I long ago gave up on any effort to try. We all make our choices. It would be scary to me to be where he is in terms of adaptive resources, particularly as we age.

Last edited:
Do you really want to find old friends? People grow apart over the years and sometimes "life" hasn't treated them well for one reason or another. Sometimes they took a different path after you last saw them and that can be a bad thing.

Anyway, you might find some of your old friends on classmates.com directly or indirectly.
I did something like that
searching around for class reunion stuff
it's getting close to the 50 year one now in 2027
I signed up on the site;
I found, for my old HS, from the class of 77'
yearbook photos & new photos
I saw a bunch of people I knew way back when,
not many were actual friends to speak of, more acquaintances,
in the same class or a year before or after...
It looked promising at 1st, I kind of went along (never paying anything)
I got some BS e-mials/notifications semi-regularly (phishing for $$$)
it would say something like;
"Someone has looked at my profile & wants to reconnect" :blah:
& never any message from the actual party/person,
just from the site,
someone I didn't know or even recognize the name,
"at all", I even looked in my yearbook
or they'd start the conversation like;
"to get an exclusive membership for X-$$'s
& see/view the mailing list & full names" etc. :jackoff:
(it got cheaper as time went on, started at like $40, I never joined/paid)

I added it to my spam list & then blocked it altogether,
shortly after I saw it was a phishing for $$s expedition,
I assume a few my fellow class of 77' got duped
or they got a list from the school etc...

That's why there are so many companies called "Aardvark......." :lol:
Mine was Albatross :blah: it's a -3 under par for 1 hole,
the original term
not the BS coined phrase bullshit like
CBS's Ken Venturi said; "double eagle" (I respected the guy otherwise)
there's, no such thing in golf, it's actually called an "Albatross"
a 2 on a par 5, or an ace on a par 4, the rarest shot in golf...

:lol:
People that know golf, know the term...

Well, I don’t seem to have this problem. I live in a small, tight knit community. I regularly see a lot of old friends and connect with a lot on the internet. Over the summer I do a lot of work at a music festival site, and I have a large crew of friends old and new. On of my very dear old friends is on my crew, and after 40 years of being friends, we finally got to play some music together. We have been in separate bands all during our friendship, but just never got to play together. To say that first time was magical is an understatement, and has now spurred me in to doing the same for many other old friends who are musicians. Just this past Tuesday, I went to another friends house where his band was practicing, and sat in and played with them, all friends from our community. It keeps me headed towards connecting with as many friends I don’t see enough, and my goal is simple, to play with as many old friends as possible before we’re all too old to do so.

I still to this day get a chuckle when seeing any company name that starts with ( ACME ) :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back