• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cautionary tale

miller

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Just for the heck of it.

Hadn't thought of it in years. Yesterday, was reminded, when a guy we hired to do some tree work came to the shop, showing me the head of a snake he had cut off, on the tip of his knife. Was a copperhead.

Told him this little (but true) story...

Grew up in northern Cal, part of the time at a lake. River fed into it, the dam and river going out. At the river going out, past the dam, a winding road...hill on one side, drop off to the river on the other side.
Okay. One of the local ranchers was driving down that road, one night, and came across a rattler. He ran over the snake, backed up (running over it again), stopped and got out. It was kind of the thing to keep the rattles...and another, to have a rattlesnake's skull, usually on the mantel.
So, the rancher, who had on one of those big flannel shirts with two pockets, cut the rattles and head of the snake.
Rattles went into the right pocket, head into the left. Got back into his truck, going his merry way.

They found him the next morning. Fortunately, he had gone into the high side, instead of off the cliff. But, he was dead. The head of the rattler had bit his chest (of course, right at his heart) three times. He was found less than a quarter mile from where he ran over the snake!

He must have not known that a snake won't die till sundown.:icon_pirat:

Hmmmm Last time I let my wifey reach in my left chest pocket..... Never dreamed.... .... Just kiddin:icon_fU:

Auto Transport Service
Back