• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese Restaurant Owner Retiring To Spend Less Time With Family

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
Jun 16, 2023

Article Image

ANAHEIM, CA — The owner of a local Chinese restaurant announced his retirement today, expressing his desire to step away from the daily grind and take the opportunity to spend far less time with his family.

Li Jun Chao, the founder of Yum Yum Good Taste Chinese Restaurant, has run the restaurant with his wife and children for over 25 years. "No more!" he said as the dinner rush died down. "I will finish the day, then I retire. It's time for me to step away from my work and not spend so much time with my family. Too much! Done!"

As with many Chinese restaurant owners, Chao started his business with the dream of one day never having to see his family again. "This is what we are all working toward," said Yu Jiang Bai, funder of the rival restaurant China Star across the street. "We compete fiercely with each other, operating 7 days a week, open for delivery until 2 A.M., and this is why. Now, he passes on to a new life. He now only has to see his wife and kids a few minutes a day. I hope I am one day so fortunate!"

Though Chao is unsure how he will spend his free time, he is certain it will involve less stress and far less interaction with those he loves. "I am leaving the restaurant to my son," he said. "He now lives with the goal of someday not spending 20 hours a day with his family."

At publishing time, Chao was celebrating by smoking his 74th cigarette of the day.

The traditional Chinese cuisine is becoming extinct! When I was young, there were amazing Chinese restaurants on many corners. Now, the good ones are few and far between!

The traditional Chinese cuisine is becoming extinct! When I was young, there were amazing Chinese restaurants on many corners. Now, the good ones are few and far between!
Not here. You just go to Alhambra, Monterey Park, Hacienda Heights and all the surrounding areas and you will find the real deal in abundance. The same with Vietnamese - Little Saigon is flooded with hundreds of little restaurants serving the 400,000 VN that concentrate in that area, along with whomever likes to join in. People come from all over just to go grocery shopping there for all the delicacies from the homeland. The same with many other ethnic groups - these are just to name a couple.

Not here. You just go to Alhambra, Monterey Park, Hacienda Heights and all the surrounding areas and you will find the real deal in abundance. The same with Vietnamese - Little Saigon is flooded with hundreds of little restaurants serving the 400,000 VN that concentrate in that area, along with whomever likes to join in. People come from all over just to go grocery shopping there for all the delicacies from the homeland. The same with many other ethnic groups - these are just to name a couple.
Driven by a large population of wealthy students from China attending Penn State, State College, PA once had a cluster of high quality restaurants serving authentic Szechuan and Mandarin cuisine that surpassed any in Philadelphia's Chinatown. I used to patronize the best one with a trucking buddy of mine every Wednesday on his day off. His Dodge Ram and my GTX would be the only vehicles in the parking lot that cost under $l00K. The hostess used to get a kick out of the fact that my Anglo buddy savored the most hard core of the traditional dishes, rather the Americanized stuff that local residents typically ordered.

Sadly for the two of us, the owner, who had half a dozen restaurants, got busted big time by both the IRS and Immigration. He got put away for seven years, and his competition became a standing room only monopoly. They doubled their prices, and really started making a killing. Last year that owner also got busted for tax evasion, but she struck a deal to avoid jail time and made restitution. I now get take out there at off peak times, but I won't wait an hour for a dinner seat now that they are the only game in town.

You guys are making me hungry for some good old fashioned bean sprout chow mein! Lol

Indian is ok. Not a super curry fan,but can’t touch the traditional szechuan or mandarin.my 2 cents

Always avoid the "Cream of Sum Yung Gi" soup. Too salty.

Always avoid the "Cream of Sum Yung Gi" soup. Too salty.
Yeah plus you can get a venerial disease from eating it… But the Chinese are well known not to waste anything if it can be digested.

Auto Transport Service
Back