• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic dash gauge insert

Cory M

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Those who have the Classic dash rallye gauge cluster/ insert...what are you using for a headlight and wiper switch? If using original...how did you go about mounting them? I just got my insert, I'm a little perplexed and any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

20240113_101612.jpg

I cut out the pot metal section off of the original gauge and trimmed it to fit and also ran ground wire for the wiper switch and it looks reasonable and works great. They are snug and don’t turn in the hole when you use them.

IMG_1419.jpeg

IMG_1420.jpeg

IMG_1390.jpeg

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

he got that problem because used Standard cluster pieces into the aftermarket Rallye look alike bezel.

Between Rallye and Standard Clusters the only piece what interchanges is the headlight switch itself, not the nut or the knob… and nothing of the wiper switch.

Rallye cluster wiper switch is in fact CONSIDERABLY shorter than standard cluster wiper switch

Last edited:
he got that problem because used Standard cluster pieces into the aftermarket Rallye look alike bezel.

Between Rallye and Standard Clusters the only piece what interchanges is the headlight switch itself, not the nut or the knob… and nothing of the wiper switch.

Rallye cluster wiper switch is in fact CONSIDERABLE shorter than standard cluster wiper switch
Good to know, I'm considering that dash panel for my standard dash Coronet. Just have to find some rallye dash switches.

Has anyone had success with certain aftermarket/ universal switches?

Yeah if you have the rally style switches you're in better shape than me. I'm not shy to spend money, but I figure I'd try to make what I have work first. If you were a talented machinist, you could probably modify the non-rally style to work, but I don't have any machines or talent. I'm not 100% sold on my solution, but I think it'll work OK.

I have modified a 2 speeds non rallye wiper switch to fit into my rallye dash ( was upgrading from non rallye to a Rallye cluster) which came with a var speed switch cutting the shaft and the “neck”. No specialized tools needed but a dremmel, a file And a hammer. Of course I had the nut coming with the var switch On cluster.

Then upgraded to a 3/var speed wiper system ( motor and linkage ) and reinstalled the var wiper switch It came with the cluster.

to proceed just need patiente. Need to dissasembly the switch, remove the “neck” and cut from that side. Reshape and smash it into the switch housing (with epoxy help) The shaft needs to be modified on the knob side.

Of course measure, measure and measure

I have modified a 2 speeds non rallye wiper switch to fit into my rallye dash ( was upgrading from non rallye to a Rallye cluster) which came with a var speed switch cutting the shaft and the “neck”. No specialized tools needed but a dremmel, a file And a hammer. Of course I had the nut coming with the var switch On cluster.

Then upgraded to a 3/var speed wiper system ( motor and linkage ) and reinstalled the var wiper switch It came with the cluster.

to proceed just need patiente. Need to dissasembly the switch, remove the “neck” and cut from that side. Reshape and smash it into the switch housing (with epoxy help) The shaft needs to be modified on the knob side.

Of course measure, measure and measure
I think I get the idea. Would love a couple pictures if you have em though.

Sorry, no pics. And I made this job back in 2007 or so. Living outside USA makes to think quite often out of the box and proceed with some experiments.

you could have it easier just getting the parts around.

Auto Transport Service
Back