• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch linkage question

generaljmwlee

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
can any one show me all the linkage needed to convert to 4spd not sure if I have every thing,2nd the clutch spring(the pedal return) that mounts to the pedal where does it mount? any pics or diagrams would be great thanks.

The "over-center" spring isn't necessary if you're using a diaphragm clutch such as a Centerforce

Stock style clutch is a Borg and Beck three finger. If you use "the spring" you will also need the shaft that anchors it to the bracket end. The pedal has a big rivet that the long straight end hooks to. There is no elegant way to install that spring lying under the dash.

meep is correct. The B&B 3 finger is a stock clutch (12 spring I believe) Centerforce is a diaphragm clutch which also has weights on the fingers. These create more clamping force as RPM increases. I ran one in my Challenger, but didn't use their disc. The only disc they offer for an 18 spline is the "dual friction" which I feel is to harsh for street use. So I used a Hays disc with the Centerforce plate. Worked well for both the limited racing I did and street driving.

Personally, I love Meep's take on the over-center spring. I couldn't say it better myself.

If the pedals are out of the car that spring slips right on, just put the pedal in the down position. The floor won't allow it to extend that far.

I can scan the service manual on Monday. It has exploded views of all the clutch linkage parts. Do you have all the shift linkage parts worked out? I can scan that too if needed.

One note about the adjuster end that may not be clear from the pictures. Make sure the slotted end of the adjusting nut faces the countersink in the special thick washer. Doing this will put pressure on the nut and bind it against the threads on the rod every time the clutch is engaged - kind of a self locking feature.

Personally, I love Meep's take on the over-center spring. I couldn't say it better myself.

:tongueflap:
But when you get it hooked up lying under the dash there is nothing you can't accomplish :grin:

Auto Transport Service
Back