• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coming out of Hibernation

Plymouth71

Waterslide Decal Artist
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Spring is on the way and I can't wait to pull my car out of storage. It's been a long winter and at the moment it's not giving up without a fight, but I'm keeping a positive attitude.

I'm a Noob at this and I only purchased my car late summer early fall last year. I asked about suggestions for parking her on a previous thread I was very thankful and impressed with the response I received.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, I'd appreciate some advice on what to do to wake the beast. I added fogging oil to the carburetor, and fuel stabilizer to a full take of fuel. I removed the carburetor to rebuild it over the winter and I will hopefully be ready to install it in the coming weeks. I'm thinking of a good inspection, oil lube and filter. Wash, wax and vacuum. WHAT ELSE !?!?!

Thank you for you input guys. it is appreciated.

IMGP3861.jpg

IMGP0029.jpg

Last edited:
If you can try to fill the bowls on the carb with fuel after installation. This will limit your cranking time. If you can't then spray carb cleaner into the carb and try to start. It will start then die and repeat till it starts. This may take 3-4 times but will eliminate all of the canking time and will take stress off your engine and starting circuit. Then a good wash and detail and you will be good to go.

everything you said above, oil,filter, inspection, wash wax and then..... DRIVE , very nice car, love the color combo

Push it outside before starting it,when it starts it will smoke until the fogging burns out.When you get a chance after driving it,pull some spark plugs out and take a look.:icon_jokercolor:

Doesn't want to end either. We just got more snow today and next week is all freezing temps. This is as close as I've gotten...

IMGP0032.jpg

I'd add some tarps or temporary walls around that car, especially for winter storage, closed it in, seal it off, it will help to protect it much better, from the harsh Great White North elements/snow, rain, wind, sun, humidity even etc., or it won't stay looking as beautiful as it is now, for very long... Good luck stay warm

Unfortunately I purchased the Car late in the season and the only place to store is on such short notice was my Brother in Law's farm. It is protected on three sides and being as he had just purchased the property, we had no idea how it would go. He had a rickety barn that had 4 walls, but looked like it wasn't going to last the winter. I have tentatively secured a better spot for next year. I made sure to clear snow away and off the car on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I purchased the Car late in the season and the only place to store is on such short notice was my Brother in Law's farm. It is protected on three sides and being as he had just purchased the property, we had no idea how it would go. He had a rickety barn that had 4 walls, but looked like it wasn't going to last the winter. I have tentatively secured a better spot for next year. I made sure to clear snow away and off the car on a regular basis.
that's good to hear

Never spray any thing into the carb to get it to start. Fix it to run and start all by it self. I have had everything start at sub zero northern Maine after sitting months on end with a full tank of treated fuel.... May take a bit to warm up and burn off the fogging oil every squirt of spray washes out the oil on the cylinder walls then you're dry starting the engine till the oil pressure comes up. Put a portable heater with a fan neer it.

Man that's a cool ride! What type of hood is on your car? I can't say I ever saw one like that...

Thanks for the info Sleepar. Someone else suggested filling the carb with fuel before I re-install it.

Thanks KhryslerKid, it's an Air Grabber hood. It was available as a factory option, This one is aftermarket I believe.

Well, got out to the shed and mounted the carb, but couldn't remember where some of the vacuum hoses hooked up. And of course we were in a rush so I forgot the repair manual. Next time the Tablet comes with me. Maybe I will get it started next weekend.

Whee Got her started on the weekend. I finished the hook up for the carb, poured some premium down her throat , she turned over and fired instantly. I forgot to remove the tennis ball from the exhaust and upon ignition it was launched about 10-15 feet LoL. Just waiting to change the oil and check the vitals, but SHE'S ALIVE !!

Next year attach some streamers to those tennis balls, like aircraft use!

Whee Got her started on the weekend. I finished the hook up for the carb, poured some premium down her throat , she turned over and fired instantly. I forgot to remove the tennis ball from the exhaust and upon ignition it was launched about 10-15 feet LoL. Just waiting to change the oil and check the vitals, but SHE'S ALIVE !!
Good deal! It's a wonder it started with the pipes being blocked! But that's a Mopar!

Auto Transport Service
Back