• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Connecting Rod Q's

TetanusShot

Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
Picked up a set of factory rods and pistons for my hemi build.

I was going to replace the rod bolts with arp, but they look like new. There is a "CP" forged into the heads.
Are these from CP Carrillo?

The beams have been polished, but whoever did it went across the beam rather than along the length. They're smooth to the touch but you can definitely see the direction.
Think this will be a problem? Redo 'em? Chuck 'em into the field?

-Thanks

I'd buy new. It could be TONS cheaper in the long run.

I'd buy new. It could be TONS cheaper in the long run.
Same problem as getting a crank, no chinese parts for me so its either buy expensive domestic parts or rework factory stuff. You see the direction i'm going with this build.

I don't buy Chi-com, either. Being a hemi....it won't be cheap regardless. I know.

Who polishes across the grain...ever?
Somebody did, its light enough i think i can easily clean it up with a sanding roll.
Think i'll go with new rod bolts and have them rebalanced at this point.
What's the consensus on shot peening?

Somebody did, its light enough i think i can easily clean it up with a sanding roll.
Think i'll go with new rod bolts and have them rebalanced at this point.
What's the consensus on shot peening?

Best dollar for dollar process to increase strength of components. Especially with the damage you're describing.

Check this out:

"...A few years ago I was shown the remains of an engine, modified for motorcycle racing by an amateur racer. The particular wizard in question had apparently taken exception to the 'flashing' left by the forging process on the production rods, and had taken his trusty grinder to the rods to remove this material. He had left the rod marginally smoother than a normal production rod, but had left some significant machining marks perpendicular to the load path, which is the about the worst possible damage he could have inflicted with his grinder. Unsurprisingly, one of the connecting rods had failed. I have no doubt that this amateur 'tuner' had no knowledge of shot-peening, otherwise he would have treated the modified rods by this process..."

https://www.highpowermedia.com/blog/3599/con-rods-application-of-shot-peening

Auto Transport Service
Back