• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Console Shifter Gear Select Indicator Air Gap?

archangel

Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
Admittedly an off-the-wall question. I am reassembling my center console top plate assembly for my '70 Bee. Specifically the auto shifter hole "plate'" or unit that mounts from underneath. When I seat the assembly I notice that there is a small air gap around the top side of the gear select indicator...the plastic cover. In other words, if the whole center console plate assembly was installed back in the car I would be able to run my fingernail underneath the bottom edge of the chrome trim around the top of gear select indicator. It does not sit flush.

Would someone with a factory original please verify that this is correct? I am wondering if I am missing a gasket.

Photos are a big help here.

The gap is a bit more pronounced at the top and bottom of the indicator window. Just seems like debris would easily collect in the space.

My plastic pry tool tip is quite thin.

air gap.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back