• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Convert a 1966 Coronet Tailpanel into a 1967 RT or 500

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:03 PM
Reaction score
Hello dear FBBO community,

I have a question:

I could possibly buy a 1966 coronet, but I don't like the tail panel (first picture).

Since I really like the tail panel from a 1967 coronet RT or 500 (second picture), I'm wondering if I can install it in the 66.

Maybe someone tried it already and has made it. Would be nice if someone can tell me.

Greetings from Germany
Yannik

First:
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-12 at 21.48.55.jpeg

Second:
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-12 at 21.48.55 (1).jpeg

You need the trunk lid, and the pot metal quarter panel extensions as well as all the ancillary stuff like the lenses, buckets, center trim strip, etc.

But it is technically a bolt on job.

Note that the 66 back up lights are in the deck lid and the 67 lights are in the bumper, so if you want back up lights, you also need a 67 bumper.

I personally LOVE the 67 back trim, although I much prefer the 440 style to the 500.

Thank you for the answer. So basically I need the trunk lid and the bumper. That I need the full 67 panel is completely clear.

Since I live in Germany, it is clear that I need the correct bumper. Otherwise, I will not get the permit to drive the car on the street. It's called "TÜV" here. LOL

You will need to modify the metal on the 66. There's a difference in sheet metal and the 67 quarter panel extension won't quite fit in the 66. I outlined the problem area in the pic below. This is a 66 and it's wider than a 67 in the outlined area. Just enough that the 67 extension won't slide in there. Should be doable though with a little cutting and welding. I'm actually going to be doing the same thing.

66.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the 67 sheetmetal for reference. You might be able to find someone selling a 67 parts car that could cut these pieces out. It would be some work but should look stock once they're in. Or might be easier to just modify the 66 metal. Sounds like Germany has some crazy rules on cars.

qtr.jpg

Last edited:
I am so thankful for the help. The work on it would be the smallest problem. The main problem is, that you can not buy these parts here. There are no car parts in germany. Maybe some VW Golfs or Polos LOL

Here's a pic of the 67 sheetmetal for reference. You might be able to find someone selling a 67 parts car that could cut these pieces out. It would be some work but should look stock once they're in. Or might be easier to just modify the 66 metal. Sounds like Germany has some crazy rules on cars.

View attachment 1556367

Once again, you learn something every day.

Yes, I know him. Sent some Emails to the shop. Also for other parts. Never got an answer. The prices at "Moparshop" are very high sometimes.
That's why I search parts in the US and ship them to Germany by myself. But for such metal parts its even more difficult.

Auto Transport Service
Back