• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting Factory Manual Steering to Power Steering

oldchevelle541

Local time
12:47 AM
Reaction score
Greetings, has anyone done this before.......converting manual to power steering on a factory 1968 Hemi Roadrunner. Very early in consideration. Looking at some Roadrunners on line and most for sale have manual steering which is a no go for me. Any guessimate on cost and level of difficulty when the correct parts are sourced out or if certain companies make an OEM conversion kit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Greetings, has anyone done this before.......converting manual to power steering on a factory 1968 Hemi Roadrunner. Very early in consideration. Looking at some Roadrunners on line and most for sale have manual steering which is a no go for me. Any guessimate on cost and level of difficulty when the correct parts are sourced out or if certain companies make an OEM conversion kit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Yup....but went the other way which is a bit harder imo. The 'right' way is to get a steering column that's accurate for the steering box but the shade tree way is cut the end of the column. The manual columns are longer than the ones for power. My way involves some cutting and welding. So, are you trying to keep the car looking as from the factory or? When I did mine, no one knew the difference.

Converted my 69 GTX 440 to power using a Borgeson kit from Bergman Auto Craft. Works very well.

Converted my 69 GTX 440 to power using a Borgeson kit from Bergman Auto Craft. Works very well.
Your X was manual? What all was entailed in doing that?

Added the pump and brackets. Changed the crank pulley. Swapped the manual steering box for the Borgeson. Shortened the steering shaft and used Bergman’s coupler. You don’t need to cut the steering shaft, just collapse it the amount necessary.

Added the pump and brackets. Changed the crank pulley. Swapped the manual steering box for the Borgeson. Shortened the steering shaft and used Bergman’s coupler. You don’t need to cut the steering shaft, just collapse it the amount necessary.
I've done the collapse deal before....but not a fan of it but don't see why it wouldn't work. Man, I've always been one to get rid of the parasitic drag of accessories lol

I did manual to power on a 70 Runner using all OEM style parts. Steering column inner shafts are different lengths for manual vs power. I got a Refurbed Power Steering unit off eBay, and the rest from 440 source. Hurt shoulder years ago, so power is the way to go. Not sure about a Hemi setup, but the FSM and parts manuals on mymopar.com is where I found what I needed. I guess I got lucky with my refurb steering box as it has no slop and the car is a dream to drive. I did rebuild front end during the conversion as well. YMMV. I really debated getting a modern kit, but I want the car to drive the way I remember them, so stayed with stock parts.

Thanks everyone for a quick replies.

I have been looking on occasion for a 68 or 69 Roadrunner and see a few with the Hemi. I like originality and since most of them had factory manual steering I want to factor in any time, cost and parts to converting to a power steering setup before I would seriously approach obtaining any car. I had a 68 Chevelle SS396 years back with manual steering and brakes and it was not enjoyable to drive for me especially when parking and turning in tight spaces. We are all getting older. I also have to consider a family member driving it if the need came up. I am okay with manual brakes but manual steering is a no go for me. I will research some of the parts the members have suggested. Many thanks..........

Auto Transport Service
Back