• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converting from standard instrument cluster to rally on 72 Charger?

JR_Charger

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
What issues are there with this conversion? I imagine some changes to the wiring harness would have to be made, and wires added for sending units my 318 car doesn't currently have.

I'm also considering the Classic Dash custom instrument cluster, but IMO it doesn't look as good as the factory rally cluster.

You'll have to get the correct sockets for the dash lights, t/s, high beam ind. brake warning light and wire then all up. The printed circuit board used different sockets than the rally. You'll have to get the plug ends that go on the gauge studs and wire power to the gauge voltage regulator. You would have to change the switches for oil pressure and water temp to sending units but the wire is the same(may have to change the connectors). You'll have to move the wiring for the wiper switch. The ammeter wiring may be the same.
I did this on my satellite many years ago, not difficult, but tedious. Good luck!

I have a Rallye dash harness that could be repaired and used or used to cut off all the ends to convert if interested...

Something to think about - but time is in short supply. I wish the Custom Dash gauge had larger speedo/tach.

Auto Transport Service
Back