• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customer wants a narrowed housing only......what should I charge?

That must be an old price page. It's $85 an hour to get your oil changed isn't it?

All I have to do is is make 4 cuts, bevel and weld the bearing housings back on.....
2 cuts here and weld them on.
1711060705507.png

What car is it going in?

If it's a "29" body or a 67-69 Barracuda, I would advise against cutting it.

The stock 65-67 B axle puts the rear track even with a factory disk brake front on those cars.

Last edited:
All I have to do is is make 4 cuts, bevel and weld the bearing housings back on.....
$400 for you and $1,400 for your new girlfriend.

Unless he didn't get the axle shafts and want's to use A body shafts he already has.

What car is it going in?

If it's a "29" body or a 67-69 Barracuda, I would advise against cutting it.

The stock 65-67 B axle puts the track even with a factory disk brake front on those cars.
Have no idea what it's going in.....and really don't care. I do somewhat but after all these years with these guys knowing way more than I do, I don't care anymore!
$400 for you and $1,400 for your new girlfriend.
She would love that!! :rofl:

2 cuts on each side.....and yup, but I'm rewelding the original housing ends onto the housing and that's not all that hard to do.....
The Graybeard engineer retired and a few weeks later the Big Machine broke down, which was essential to the company’s revenue.

The Manager couldn’t get the machine to work again so the company called in Graybeard as an independent consultant.

Graybeard agrees. He walks into the factory, takes a look at the Big Machine, grabs a sledge hammer, and whacks the machine once whereupon the machine starts right up.

Graybeard leaves and the company is making money again.

The next day Manager receives a bill from Graybeard for $5,000.

Manager is furious at the price and refuses to pay.

Graybeard assures him that it’s a fair price.

Manager retorts that if it’s a fair price Graybeard won’t mind itemizing the bill.

Graybeard agrees that this is a fair request and complies.

The new, itemized bill reads….

Hammer: $5Knowing where to hit the machine with hammer: $4995

The parable above applies to welders too!

Have someone that wants me to narrow a 66-67 B body housing (his) to 'A' body width and says to leave the spring perches where they are since he's telling me that there's room to remove 1" from both sides. I need to check the differences in the perches as there isn't a whole lot of room between the 66-67 bearing houses and the perches. Anyways, if there's room to leave the perches on, how much should I charge to narrow it to 'A' body width?

Been several years since I've narrowed one and well, the commercial shops probably have gone up on prices like everything else has. Not even sure if he knows that the 'A' vs 'B' axles have a different length from the bearing or not but he says he doesn't want to buy wheels with the correct offset since he already has the wheels he wants to use and I'm not too sure I want to 'eddymacate' him on the subject since he already seems to know more than I do. So far he's not telling me if he is going to use aftermarket axles or stock 'A' body axles. He's just wanting me to shortened it 1" per side. Man, really don't care to work for people like this plus I'm pretty busy right now but the extra money never hurts.
Maybe do the job but make a list of the other things you know and let him be aware of the other things. My guess you’ll get more work and not a guy finger pointing “ well you didn’t do it rite” or let him go else where and no headaches to you Cranky. Cant lead a horse to water so to say

I had a truck D60 shortened in 2016. Supplied used ends that were already tapered. I had cut the truck hubs off for the guy with a sawzall. He had to shorten the tubes and tig weld the ends on and also tigged on the axle tubes to the center. Cost then was $250.00 Canadian. Cost now $400.00 Canadian Kim

Auto Transport Service
Back