• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash is out, what’s next

Sheriffandy013

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
What else should I do while the day is out for painting? Any maintenance things that should be done while I can get to it? Also, how do I get the emergency brake out? It is in dire need of painting! What about restoring gauges? Can that be done by a newb or does that need to be sent off or replaced? Thanks!

What else should I do while the day is out for painting? Any maintenance things that should be done while I can get to it? Also, how do I get the emergency brake out? It is in dire need of painting! What about restoring gauges? Can that be done by a newb or does that need to be sent off or replaced? Thanks!
Good time to check your heater box for any possible repairs or preventative maintenance, probably fine unless you had some issues.
The gauges depend on what works and doesn't. If you have gauges that just need refacing and cosmetic stuff you might tackle that. I had auto instruments refurbish mine, cosmetically and fixed the tic tock tac/clock, made sure all gauges were working, etc. Needed a lot of work but looks, and hopefully functions, like brand new. My dash is still out pending other work needing done. I need to address the emergency brake too but haven't tackled it yet.

You could check your wiper pivots and make sure they move freely, not leaking etc. Mine were frozen up and I had to find some used ones here on the forum, they are not reproduced.

Put your hand up inside the vent box inlet area and feel for any rust build up - or debris getting caught up under the cowl panel.

***Remove vent boxes first of course.

Put your hand up inside the vent box inlet area and feel for any rust build up - or debris getting caught up under the cowl panel.

***Remove vent boxes first of course.
Good time to check your heater box for any possible repairs or preventative maintenance, probably fine unless you had some issues.
The gauges depend on what works and doesn't. If you have gauges that just need refacing and cosmetic stuff you might tackle that. I had auto instruments refurbish mine, cosmetically and fixed the tic tock tac/clock, made sure all gauges were working, etc. Needed a lot of work but looks, and hopefully functions, like brand new. My dash is still out pending other work needing done. I need to address the emergency brake too but haven't tackled it yet.

You could check your wiper pivots and make sure they move freely, not leaking etc. Mine were frozen up and I had to find some used ones here on the forum, they are not reproduced.
Ok, I’ll see if I can find some, thanks!

Ok, I’ll see if I can find some, thanks!
It also appears that all of the vent hoses behind the dash are shot and have been for a while. I was thinking I could just get some stuff from Home Depot to do this? Anyone else do the same or have other solutions? This is not a show car but want it to be a nice driver and it will need heat. It was an ac car so eventually I want to get that up and running again as well.

It also appears that all of the vent hoses behind the dash are shot and have been for a while. I was thinking I could just get some stuff from Home Depot to do this? Anyone else do the same or have other solutions? This is not a show car but want it to be a nice driver and it will need heat. It was an ac car so eventually I want to get that up and running again as well.
They are readily available online, Detroit Muscle, Year One, PG Classics, etc

Auto Transport Service
Back