• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dash plastic speedo can you buff out

70RR

Local time
11:25 AM
Reaction score
I am replacing my lower dash pad and was wondering while i am at it if i could make the speedo plastic a little clearer ..it is not that bad but, since i will have access to i thought i would make it look better if i can..thank you for your help in advance
rick c...
P.s while i am at it what would one use to buff out scratch marks on my rear window ?

Never use a paper towel on plastic, it will scratch. I prefer microfiber towels and a little soap and water to clean. Stay away from window cleaner on plastic cause some have ammonia. If you have access to both sides it's even better cause usually the inside surface is dusty. If there are any scratches or hazing treat it like hazed over headlights and polish with a mild compound. If you don't have any polishing compound try toothpaste. If the rear window is glass as opposed to plastic in a convertible and you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it is very tough to get out. I think Eastwood makes a glass polishing kit.

Thank you very much. I will have access to the back of the Speedo plastic…I do have those microfiber towels to use. I will check Eastwood and get the plastic compound too. I looked at a few sites saw mostly metal compounds. My back is glass I can not feel the scratches so I will try the compound to see what I can do. I would rather try to fix than take Glass out. Mine is factory Tinted due to A/C and I think will be harder to find the Tinted Glass. Thanks again Rick

Never use a paper towel on plastic, it will scratch. I prefer microfiber towels and a little soap and water to clean. Stay away from window cleaner on plastic cause some have ammonia. If you have access to both sides it's even better cause usually the inside surface is dusty. If there are any scratches or hazing treat it like hazed over headlights and polish with a mild compound. If you don't have any polishing compound try toothpaste. If the rear window is glass as opposed to plastic in a convertible and you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it is very tough to get out. I think Eastwood makes a glass polishing kit.

I understand, I would rather polish the glass than replace it. By the way my Mom lives in Tampa and it's hotter here this week than there. Just glad I can help.

Thank for Glass Help

What makes is so bad is Humidity can be at 90%, feels like your swimming in the air. I have been here for 33 years <Boston & Northwood N.H.First> and still hard to get used too..I just replaced my Valve Cover Gaskets on the 69 RR and I looked like I jumped into the pool when I was done and I started at 7:30 pm when Sun was almost down..
I live in NW Tampa called Carrollwood / Northdale area and there are Car shows 3 to 4 nights every week with in a 30 to 40 mile drive almost year round. One at local at Steak-N-Shake is on Tuesdays is 3 1/2 miles away.
I do think about growing up in New England when they are having a cold spell in the Winter and I am cruzing to a car show in T-Shirt and Shorts with the windows down or even better with the cold A/C blowing. Hated the idea Summer was from mid May to mid Sept. I could not think about moving back to the NORTH as they call it down here...
Thank again for your help Rick

P.S The metal part of my dash above the glove box around the Bird wanted to make it look a little better..Not really pitted but not totally smooth either any idea's ?

3gears.gif

I understand, I would rather polish the glass than replace it. By the way my Mom lives in Tampa and it's hotter here this week than there. Just glad I can help.

It's probably plated. You could try some metal polish on it and see what happens. Could be the plating is just wearing off. I know how it goes, you start with one thing and all of a sudden everything else needs attention. When I was young I couldn't understand why you would have air cond. in a muscle car. Now I get it. Last year in June we spent 2 weeks in Cape Coral working on a house. I totally understand that weather.

Members like you are the reason I joined BBOF, THANKS

When I bought my first Mopar in 1973..It was 1970 Roadrunner at the local Plymouth Dealer in Rochester N.H. < 37,000 MILES & $1550 > It was an A/C car in New Hampshire!! so in my ignorance I though most Roadrunners had it..
I go to the Beaches/Clearwater ..etc. alot of cruzing time here in Florida and on the way home in the Summer we have "huge" thunderstorms and the tourists would start stopping in the middle and on the side of the road, making driving back in stop and go traffic a bitch..I had to roll up the windows in the GTX and I would "Cook "..Since I bought the 69 RR w A/C I have had it on like twice..Go figure..Considering the Roadrunner was about $2999 new and mostly stripped and A/C was $367 option and then added all the weight I now understand why so few were installed at factory ..Thanks Rick
P.S Thanks for polish advise..Yes, as I look around now I see **** I did not notice that much before, or care about..Arm rests supports losing chrome finish, Rear window to deck lid plastic piece cracked, Visors, WWbottle, Carpet, etc..without BBOF I could NOT afford to fix..I bought $300 worth of parts off some one on here and would of cost me $1000+ and years to find it..Why would I spend $100 for visors when I can get OEM very nice used ones for $40 on BBOF..I have a Nice Driver not a a 100 POINT trailer Queen or Barrett Jackson car.
Thanks again Rick

3gears.gif

It's probably plated. You could try some metal polish on it and see what happens. Could be the plating is just wearing off. I know how it goes, you start with one thing and all of a sudden everything else needs attention. When I was young I couldn't understand why you would have air cond. in a muscle car. Now I get it. Last year in June we spent 2 weeks in Cape Coral working on a house. I totally understand that weather.

Just glad I can pass along some knowledge. 70 RR is one of my favorites. Good luck!

70RR, there's a guy in Iowa who does amazing cluster restoration work. He'll give you a range of options from light touch-up to the full treatment (recalibration plus show-and-shine). I sent him a Rallye cluster last year and couldn't have been happier with the customer service and the result. I see others have mentioned him here at FBBO too - here's a post with all of the contact info:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?p=42541#post42541

70RR, You can use a polish like Meguires 7 and a soft cloth or microfiber on the plastic lenses, clear or colored. I use little dab and buff.

This is hearsay, so don't take my word for it because I never tried, but I heard the 3M Headlight Restore Kit will work wonders on clear plastic.

no idea if this is a good idea or not but the other night on Grave yard carz the mopar restoration show . They were using muriatic acid it clean haze off len's . I know you can get that at all swimming pool supply stores . Not sure i would be comfortable using my parts :)

X2 Propwash, that polish will work. Also any mild paint polish will also work. It doesn't take much. Just stay away from the paper towels. They will scratch plastic.

Nice looking dash parts

You are right I saw your before and after photos you posted and they now look like new..Thanks for passing along info..Price was very good too!! Rick

70RR, there's a guy in Iowa who does amazing cluster restoration work. He'll give you a range of options from light touch-up to the full treatment (recalibration plus show-and-shine). I sent him a Rallye cluster last year and couldn't have been happier with the customer service and the result. I see others have mentioned him here at FBBO too - here's a post with all of the contact info:
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?p=42541#post42541

Thanks

I was at a local car show this past weekend and some one said the same thing..He showed me were he used the 3M and it and looked pretty good to me..Thanks Rick
:headbang:

This is hearsay, so don't take my word for it because I never tried, but I heard the 3M Headlight Restore Kit will work wonders on clear plastic.

Thanks for advise

Some one told me the same thing..I have Pool and I do use the acid here and there. I use it more to clean the concrete around the Pool as it Etches the surface. I too was afraid to try as I had no sample piece to use to see what it does..When I try some thing I am sure of I can screw it up even worse..Thanks Rick :eusa_think:

no idea if this is a good idea or not but the other night on Grave yard carz the mopar restoration show . They were using muriatic acid it clean haze off len's . I know you can get that at all swimming pool supply stores . Not sure i would be comfortable using my parts :)

Auto Transport Service
Back