• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did BFG ?

Mine look the same way, although they are 25 years old! They have no dry rot and have been stored properly. The quickest fix is... hit the letters with an orbital palm sander. I did all my tires in 30 minutes. No scrubbing, no sweating, no effort.

Some before and after pics.

20230508_155530.jpg

20230508_155143.jpg

20230508_160720.jpg

20230509_163552.jpg

Mine, I bought new in 2002. They have not turned brown. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to replace the tires due to their age. They still look like new and only have about 5K miles on them.
View attachment 1466268
Run them. The BFG's on my vette are from 2005 and I have zero fear of driving them anywhere, the bias ply WideTrac on my Roadrunner are from 1980 and I have zero fear of driving it. You just need to keep your tires inspected. The company I work for, we have a hundred of trucks on the road, half are large CDL trucks pulling equipment, tires are run and run for years. I've never seen a tire shred except the cheap "new" trailer tires on the 5ton trailers. And I've been there 30 years.

What ever happened to: Wesly' s Bleache White??? Was it discontinued? It came in a can (plastic bottle) with a spray pump plunger top.....on a dry tire, spray on the letters, it came out as blue liquid, almost instantly dissolved the crud and scuffs, let sit for 5 minutes, hit it with a wet scrub brush, hose it off......tire looked like new..........just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

What ever happened to: Wesly' s Bleache White??? Was it discontinued? It came in a can (plastic bottle) with a spray pump plunger top.....on a dry tire, spray on the letters, it came out as blue liquid, almost instantly dissolved the crud and scuffs, let sit for 5 minutes, hit it with a wet scrub brush, hose it off......tire looked like new..........just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON
They changed recipe and it doesn't work well at all. Maybe just dirty letters but like everything else, will not clean the brown letters.

They changed recipe and it doesn't work well at all. Maybe just dirty letters but like everything else, will not clean the brown letters.
I'm sure.....just like most things these days......new smaller package, new higher price, new formulation that doesn't work like the old stuff......how sad....
BOB RENTON

They changed every ingredient but the water. Of course!

I just got new tires for my car. I'm a little late to the thread but what is common to clean the blue lettering off of new tires? Thanks

rrTor-Red, It will wash off with a brush,soap and water.

Mine, I bought new in 2002. They have not turned brown. I'm still on the fence as to whether or not to replace the tires due to their age. They still look like new and only have about 5K miles on them.
View attachment 1466268
I would replace them. Way past their lifespan. BFG's do not do well when they are old like that. I just had one blow out on me a couple of months ago. I was on a road and just got underway when the traffic light turned green. Maybe only doing 20 mph and I feel the left front of my 68 Coronet starting to sink down slowly. Immediately pulled over and sure enough one of my BFG TA's came apart. Luckily no damage to the rim or any thing in the in the front fender area. Used BFG's for many years and this was the last BFG this car will have. Replaced the tires with Hankooks. Hankooks are excellant tires and far superior than BFG TA tires. I have them on two other cars. Very happy with them.

I dealt with tires from all major manufacturers in the trucking business. There was a definite connection to price and service, in terms of durability, reliability, and adverse weather performance. In later years I ran Generals on my own truck because they were the cheapest. I never re-capped them. I hauled out of a steel mill, and the chance of ruining a tire with a metal shaving were pretty good. The second time it happened I started running cheap instead of good. But the Generals were really inconsistent in their durability - many would develop odd wear spots as a result of poor quality control in the tread compound.
Cheap, black, and round. Criteria I tell my tire guy I need to fulfill. I've run caps for years and years way over 1million miles, maybe a dozen tire failures, at least 3 of those were not caps. Lucky I guess.
My B.F. Goodrich have been brown since the first year I had them and will stay that way, I did get almost 18k out of the rear tires, fronts are still good, but will not match the Hankooks going on so they will have to rotate to somewhere else. My 255/60 fronts came off my son's car as he is going up to 295s in the rear since he got wider wheels.
5k in 20+ years, that poor car needs driven more often.

I have a set of old ones 25 years that never turned brown bought a set 3 years and they did that after a year. I think Coker bought the rights.

Local tire shop I use is getting me a set of 4 Cooper Cobras.
255/60/15 & 215/70/15
$700 ready to roll
I have a pair of 15×7 with 4"bs and a pair of 15 x 5 &1/2 for the front.
I need to blast the wheels and prime/paint them.
Late Christmas present to the 67 :drinks:

Auto Transport Service
Back