• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference Between a '62 Dodge and Plymouth Trunk

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
...if there is any.

I'm looking for a specific pattern on a trunk mat for my '62 Dodge. I've seen it advertised for the '62 Plymouth but not for the Dodge. Is there a difference between the Dodge and Plymouth trunk? I've heard they both use the same trunk pan. Is this true? (I don't have a parts catalog).

There's many parts on these cars that are listed for just one or the other but in reality they can be the same. Is this one of those cases?

When AMD was making the trunk pan it was listed as a 62-65 Dodge/Plymouth.
The trunk dropdowns are the same as well.

I know at some point, 65 definitely but maybe 64, the spare tire bracket changed slightly.
Also, 64/65 had an additional bracket and trunk dropdown extension piece as the quarter panels are more squared off at the bottom rear.

When searching for parts, I often look under a 62 Plymouth to get what I need.

I have seen parts listed for 62 and up Plymouth but no mention of Dodge, it's like they don't realize a 62 Dart/Polara was the same basic car as a Plymouth or that it even existed.

In conversation with Joe Suchy, he mentioned that the widths of the trunk wells in 62s varies from car to car. I measured mine and one side was an inch wider than the other. When it comes to this year of car I have learned nothing is standard.

I have seen parts listed for 62 and up Plymouth but no mention of Dodge, it's like they don't realize a 62 Dart/Polara was the same basic car as a Plymouth or that it even existed

I've seen this on many occasions. Thanks for your reply.

Not the same issue; but mentioning how things were different one of the hassles I encountered restoring my ’63 Fury were the parking light outer gaskets. Got a decent used set from a fellow member as I couldn’t find these and be damned, the sizing wasn’t even close! Located yet another set…another miss-fit. What a head scratcher this was. Ended up cutting and pasting getting pretty close to happy.

20170531_073710.jpg

Made my own out of rubber tubing! Looks much better than factory gasket
That does look great. If I run into reworking the parking lenses, great to know. Looked around tons of sites looking for those damn gaskets. NONE unless buying the whole assembly for hefty cost and my assembly is in nice shape.

Was miffed hey finding how different the sizes were! Started thinking ma mopar changed the sizes depending on the day of the week. You should advertise making these. Thanks

Jeff, thanks for the video link. I had to make some gaskets for a pair of 65 Plymouth taillights out of some small vacuum line and remember it not being fun.

kk, I ran into that searching for my '63 trunk mat. I went knowing the trunk pans were the same, so I made that assumption. The trunk patterns on the mats varied somewhat. I was lucky enough to have the original to match it to. If you go to Auto Custom Carpets, they have a bunch of patterns for that Era B-body. You'll need to search the different models, and makes possibly, but they probably have it. Took me 2 tries to get the right one. You will need to do some trimming, to get a good fit, but that's part of the fun !!!
0514231102_HDR.jpg
0514231102a_HDR.jpg

kk, I ran into that searching for my '63 trunk mat. I went knowing the trunk pans were the same, so I made that assumption. The trunk patterns on the mats varied somewhat. I was lucky enough to have the original to match it to. If you go to Auto Custom Carpets, they have a bunch of patterns for that Era B-body. You'll need to search the different models, and makes possibly, but they probably have it. Took me 2 tries to get the right one. You will need to do some trimming, to get a good fit, but that's part of the fun !!!
View attachment 1545408View attachment 1545410

Hey Dan, ACC doesn't have the pattern I'm looking for. REM does have the pattern but not in a molded mat. They list the pattern for the Plymouth but not the Dodge.

I was just looking through the '62 parts catalog last night and they list the trunk mats parts numbers the same for Dodge and Plymouth. No patterns listed only black and gray. So I'm ready to pull the trigger and use one listed for the Plymouth but not for a flat mat unless a heat gun would work to mold it in place.

Yours looks like the molded vinyl. About the $160 one?

Here's the pattern they were using in '62 that I would like to use. Other patterns were used depending on the Plant and availability.
s-l960 (4).jpg

Hey Dan, ACC doesn't have the pattern I'm looking for. REM does have the pattern but not in a molded mat. They list the pattern for the Plymouth but not the Dodge.

I was just looking through the '62 parts catalog last night and they list the trunk mats parts numbers the same for Dodge and Plymouth. No patterns listed only black and gray. So I'm ready to pull the trigger and use one listed for the Plymouth but not for a flat mat unless a heat gun would work to mold it in place.

Yours looks like the molded vinyl. About the $160 one?

Here's the pattern they were using in '62 that I would like to use. Other patterns were used depending on the Plant and availability.
View attachment 1545455
Yes, mine is the molded vinyl. I guess I was lucky, as they only offered it in 2 colors/patterns. Of course I chose wrong the first time !!!

Auto Transport Service
Back