• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference between long and short block?

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:05 PM
Reaction score
Hi FBBO,

I am 100% sure you can help me and tell me what the difference between a long block and a short block is.

Does all blocks were „available“ as long/short block?

Thanks

Long block has the heads, cam, lifters and rockers and short block is just the block, crank, pistons and rods...

A short block is what is under the cylinder heads, usually but not always, not including cam and lifters, kinda depending on if it's intended as a high performance piece (likely no cam) or a rebuilder special (more likely to include cam and lifters.
A long block is a short block, plus cylinder heads installed. May or may not have valve train, but the heads will be assembled. Intake, carb, water pump, distributor, flywheel/flexplate, and sheet metal will not be included.

Those terms are usually used to describe an engine in relation to how complete it is.
It could be a used, a rebuilt or a new engine.
The "short block" usually consists of an engine block with the crankshaft, rods and pistons installed. Sometimes the cam shaft, timing chain are included.
A "Long block" is the entire short block assembly but with cylinder heads installed. In some cases, the long block also includes an oil pan, timing cover and valve covers.

About two cylinders. LOL
That's the long and short of it
Funny. I have two straight eights, I guess they are "long blocks". Lol.
I remember many many years ago, when jaguar brought out their v12, an XKE owner wanted his own "twelve". So, he joined two dohc jag sixes, made himself a straight twelve. A long time ago, long, long block. Lol.

Funny. I have two straight eights, I guess they are "long blocks". Lol.
I remember many many years ago, when jaguar brought out their v12, an XKE owner wanted his own "twelve". So, he joined two dohc jag sixes, made himself a straight twelve. A long time ago, long, long block. Lol.
No.... They are "Skinny Blocks"... :lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back