• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dried weather stripping caulk

plumgtx

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
What is the best way to get rid of this junk beneath my chrome mouldings? Its 40 years old and hard as a rock. I left my trim pieces out in the sun today and it softened some of the crap up so I could scrape it out but man it was tough. It would be nice if there was a chemical solution I could leave it in. I am new to the resto process so let me know how you guys did it.

If the sun is helping by heating it, you could try a heat gun on "LOW" and do it, you could also try a mixture of white vinegar and water, two parts water, one part white vinegar and soak it in that, That stuff is hard to get out and its a couple suggestions i know of... Good luck.

It is called Butyl and it is a real pain to clean off of anything. There must be a better way but I use Laquer Thinner.

Yep, Butyl is a pain in the arse! I tried just about everything from solvents to an eraser wheel(usually used to remove pin stripes and graphics) and if you want to keep the paint in tact the best thing I found to get the big chunks out was as Ron suggested was a heat gun on low, and a plastic scraper. Once the big stuff is out, adhesive remover and lots of towels to clean of the remaining residue.

I have used a craftsman cotter pin extractor tool that's like a bent screwdriver to get under and scrape the sealer to get it off in large sections then 80gr sand paper to clean up the rest then a wipe down with acetone... if it is hard and brittle it comes off Bette than if it is still gummy.

If you are not worried about paint(if you are doing a restore), 3M makes a disc that attaches to a drill that looks like a black rice cake(part number 3171 or 3172). I used one to remove the hard caulk on my drip rail and have used for seam sealer around trunk seams as well.

Thanks guys most of my problem is on the gunk on the inside of the chrome moulding. Where do they sell butyl?

Auto Transport Service
Back