• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drum Brake Adjustment On My 69 Charger

When I adjust my manuals,I go for barely able to turn a 1/2 rotation. Nice high pedal.

No need for brake cleaner unless you get grease/oil on the shoes when you are done. As said before, remove all wheels for a complete inspection.
Emery cloth is good to clean the glaze off the shoes. Just like buffing your shoes after you polish them, if you have ever done that. Not many shoes are real leather anymore.
I would change/flush the brake lines. The brake fluid absorbs water and is at least 5 years old. Moisture corrodes the lines and wheel cylinder from the inside out, so you can't see it unless you flush the fluid out. A quart is less than $10. Only se a new, sealed bottle. Old brake fluid, previously opened fluid should be tossedd
On this car you would start at farthest wheel from the master cylinder and work back from there. The passenger right rear and work back.
Your Factory Service Manual will give you the correct brake adjustment procedure.

IMO....EXCELLENT ADVICE....perhaps you should CONSIDER using the silicon based fluid DOT 5. Dot 5 fluid is NON-HYDROSCOPIC and will not absorb moisture and cause corrosion. This corrosion in the wheel cylinders will cause the seals to leak ruining the brake lining. Points to ponder.....
BOB RENTON

Okay, finally fixed my coolant leaks…..next up is brake drum adjustment on all 4 wheels….please give me the proper steps to follow getting my drum brakes operating correctly…driving my Charger around the neighborhood I’m finding that the left rear wheel wants to lock up when applying the brake petal firmly…lightly the car starting to pull to the left….I have drum all the way around and non power assisted……this car has been sitting about 5 years….until recently beginning to get it out on the road…I realize I need to bleed each one but figure those of you that have done this can give me some helpful advice…..Steve
Front and rear drum brakes are not fun.

Auto Transport Service
Back