• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dustless Blasting for Undercoating?

Live in central Fl. Jacked my car up and blocked it high enough so I could use a creeper and rolled under with putty knife and a heat gun. Takes a while keep heat on the knife blade and it will come off. Slow but messy. Then go back and wire brush on a right-angle grinder to finish the job. I would not chemically dip any car. Was told by a company near me you might get half a car back. Good luck on the job.

Needle scaler + Wire wheel is how I removed mine. Chemicals didnt touch it. It's a miserable experience as evidenced by my photo below (I think everyone has a similar facial expression after doing this job).

Use a good breathing mask and ear protection. The needle scaler is extremely loud inside of the wheel wells.

I also used an air chisel with the pressure turned WAY down. Like around 10psi. I leaned the chisel at a 15° angle and the undercoating came off in long strips. This works well on the flat spots.

Took me about 2 days to remove mine. It was about 20lbs worth of rubber. Came out awesome after it was all done.

20220515-104346.jpg

20220515-111737.jpg

20220515-111732.jpg

20220515-110105.jpg

20220811-203352.jpg

Last edited:
A guy on moparts years ago said he put car on rotisseri. Sprayed bottom with gasoline, then used a heated pressure washer and it all came off completely.

can you imagine how much gas you would need to coat the entire bottom of the car? And redcoat after it soaks in?

the heat seems like a good thing.

where my trans tail leaked and soaked the undercoating it wipes right off with a rag.

Last edited:
where my trans tail leaked and soaked the undercoating it wipes right off with a rag.
Couldn't agree more, my 64 had a huge spray fan behind the tailshaft that made it come off beautifully.
Don't underestimate the power of ATF

Needle scaler + Wire wheel is how I removed mine. Chemicals didnt touch it. It's a miserable experience as evidenced by my photo below (I think everyone has a similar facial expression after doing this job).

Use a good breathing mask and ear protection. The needle scaler is extremely loud inside of the wheel wells.

I also used an air chisel with the pressure turned WAY down. Like around 10psi. I leaned the chisel at a 15° angle and the undercoating came off in long strips. This works well on the flat spots.

Took me about 2 days to remove mine. It was about 20lbs worth of rubber. Came out awesome after it was all done.

View attachment 1499097

View attachment 1499098

View attachment 1499099

View attachment 1499100

View attachment 1499101
That's some outstanding work there!

Auto Transport Service
Back