• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine size for max wedge build?

I know the new Indy crossram as they call it makes a ton more power then a factory crossram and I dont blame any NSS racere for using it. But I have a hard time considering it a crossram even if they call it that because the carbs are staggered a 1/4". So I understand why someone who wants the real Max Wedge look when they pop there hood want to use a factory crossram where the carbs are staggered about a foot or close. But we all know you are giving up hp when compared to the modern intakes but the modern Indy intake just dont have the original max Wedge look. Ron

There's advantages to both, no doubt. My car is old school and the original stuff is all paid for.

I don't think the stock maxie heads can justify the Indy manifold.........your just moving the "choke point" to another place in the induction/exhaust system, right? (especially with street level cam)

There's advantages to both, no doubt. My car is old school and the original stuff is all paid for.

I don't think the stock maxie heads can justify the Indy manifold.........your just moving the "choke point" to another place in the induction/exhaust system, right? (especially with street level cam)

Not necessarily. If Im a betting man, you'll gain .2 with the indy crossram over the stock crossram no matter what heads you put on it.
I've been there, done that. But don't think you'll be getting the 10's with it unless you max port them and have big CI with lots of compression.

Why don't you work on them yourself ??

I don't build them anymore. No time and no room and I use my time making money to afford them. It's not cost effective for me to build them now.
But I do work on everything else and maintain everything.

Thanks Superstkrcr. That sounds nice, no doubt, but mines a street car (10:1), street cam, and I own the stuff.......besides it matches my car.

I understand 6T5 as I have to admit it is really cool when someone pops their hood at a cruise or car show and it has the factory crossram on it. We all know its 50 year old technology and as was said gives up a good bit of power but many with street cars like you are more then willing to give up some hp for that awesome stock Max Wedge look. And I do love the factory Max Wedge look myself.
I am not one to talk as I just run a single carb intake but cash had some to do with it for me and I do like to get the most performance out of the mild combo's I can only afford to build.

I wonder has anyone compared the good single plane with a dominator 1150 carb to the Indy crossram with the dual carbs ?? Course most NSS class rules warrant running 2 carbs so that may be one reason you dont see single plane intakes and dominators in NSS that much. But I did here the 422 club is letting NSS cars run a single carb as of this year where I would be legal for their club with my single 850 DP. I have run a few races with them but they would let me once a year run with a single carb and they told me to run any more I needed two carbs to meet the rules. But I heard that has changed this year. Ron

- - - Updated - - -

How can any Mopar fan not love this look on a 62 to 65 Mopar when the hood is popped ? Yes for performance I like the Indy intake but for pure coolness on a street driven car it dont get much cooler then this. Ron

59747395.jpg

well my problem solved itself.....I found a good buy on a 4.15//493cu in shortblock. Now time to choose a cam, I guess.

thanks all!

Go 440 based.
Save yourself time and money with the 440.
The Maxie's were very difficult to run on the streets with the extremely high CR
The Heads only want to flow at "RPM"
Parts are expensive.

Here is my 440 based Max Wedge.

440 based Max Wedge

A&A manifold, carb linkage and set-up

TTI headers

All GOOd STUFF inside.
Eagla H-beams, Forged crank,
Custom pistons...

Assembled by Dale Reed, Baldwin Park, So Cal

This is Dale Reed, Ex NHRA Mopar drag racer...

The car it is going in...does not look like this now.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 178
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 212
well my problem solved itself.....I found a good buy on a 4.15//493cu in shortblock. Now time to choose a cam, I guess.

thanks all!

good score, most of the time, more is better
no replacement for displacement

thanks all!

Nice as thats what I run a 440/493. I use a solid flat tappet in mine thats a custom grind from Dwayne Porter and I am very pleased with it. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back