• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Existing 69 Road Runner 5.7 Hemi Swap Questions

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:06 AM
Reaction score
So I've been a long time member but only lurked and bought a sold a few things for my 68 RR. Recently I bought a 5.7 Hemi Swap 69 Road Runner Convertible that looks like it was converted about 10 years ago in Arizona.

But, as I dig deeper into it, I'm seeing symptoms of a lot of the challenges I've seen here. The motor is resting on the gear box and the cross-member has only got one bolt going through it and the other hole doesn't line up. The tunnel was widened to accommodate the tranny but it looks like it's only got a 1/2" left in the tunnel to raise the engine. It does have the Hotwire harness so it is fairly reliable, I'd just like to fix these two issues.

I was wondering if anyone has ideas on whether or not some of the newer tti headers and motor mounts will actually clear the gear box or if some kind of shim will lift the engine up. I've also looked but not been able to find a cross-member.

I no longer have the facilities to do major mods in my current location, so if anyone in Southern California knows a good shop instead, I'd consider that as well.

I'll put pictures below, and any help is welcome! Thanks!

IMG_2288.JPG IMG_2285.JPG IMG_2337.JPG IMG_2350.JPG IMG_2375.JPG

The problem are the exhaust headers, for what I've read you have to change the ones in the steering pump side, the ones in the jeep 6.1 seem like the best choice for this clearance because they embrace the block.

Ditch those factory iron exhaust manifolds right into the garbage. Get TTI headers, their engine brackets and you’ll be set. Then redo the exhaust from the heads back.

I’m about 6 hours north of ya, Fresno area, but if you wanted to make a trip, I can help ya out.

Get the parts I mentioned and you’ll have this......

E239C6C3-ED44-46DD-A783-143E66C0F45F.jpeg E255D826-9749-4A40-BE13-09AA2F06CAC9.jpeg B09137F7-1A37-4792-B3C4-D662E03389B9.jpeg

The problem are the exhaust headers, for what I've read you have to change the ones in the steering pump side, the ones in the jeep 6.1 seem like the best choice for this clearance because they embrace the block.
Thanks, I’ll look into them.

Ditch those factory iron exhaust manifolds right into the garbage. Get TTI headers, their engine brackets and you’ll be set. Then redo the exhaust from the heads back.

I’m about 6 hours north of ya, Fresno area, but if you wanted to make a trip, I can help ya out.

So what did you use for a crossmember mount? Mine looks homemade and the holes don’t line up. Anyone making one for b bodies?

If you’ve got the 545rfe trans, the factory (69) needs to be modified. No one makes a cross member for that.

When you get that all sorted out, put a Blower on it.

If you’ve got the 545rfe trans, the factory (69) needs to be modified. No one makes a cross member for that.

I do. Fair enough. Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back