• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

exterior door handles

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
for an a12 outside door handles black or chrome buttons?

I just saw a 69 charger with black buttons the other day ( unrestored). Thought that was weird

They certainly do look cheap. Is that better?
Depends what you're portraying I guess.
Meh. Cheap is a matter of opinion.
They sure look better on a 68 Runner with the black and white birds than full chrome would. Details, details. Maybe not so on other models.

IMG_2271.jpg

I suppose cheap was the name of the game back in 68, that's what started the whole muscle car boom. Classic.
If you wanted bling, buy a GTX.

Who the hell looks at door buttons. If you're not a concours judge and you're looking at door buttons you need to get a life !!!

My 68 was black but with the décor package having so much shiny stainless I thought the chrome looked better. So I went back with the chrome. I kept the black ones in case I change my mind.

F8D17DC9-2F9D-4644-BBF9-22CC6005AB85.png

C88B0329-CAB7-4773-82BF-8055EF9592F3.png

Who the hell looks at door buttons. If you're not a concours judge and you're looking at door buttons you need to get a life !!!
I originally asked because my car has a black button on one side and chrome on the other. I’m going to replace the handles and want to order what should be there. Regardless I’ll work on getting a life.

I originally asked because my car has a black button on one side and chrome on the other. I’m going to replace the handles and want to order what should be there. Regardless I’ll work on getting a life.
Gee I thought I answered this for you the day I saw the car no??

My road runner is a LA built car with a 1/4/69 build date and it had black.

switch from black to all chrome happened sometime about Jan 1969 , depending on plant

I was curious about this, after owning four '69 GTXs. Two cars built in September '68 had black buttons, April and July '69 builds both had chrome.
My two 1969 GTX verts , one was early Jan 69 , and black buttons.
the 2nd one built I think mid Feb was all chrome. Both cars were St Louis plant

I dug into this maybe 10-15 years ago and the general concensus was sometime Mid Jan 1969 was the changeover.

pairofgtxs.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back