• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender Flare Installation - Dakota

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Asking if anyone has installed aftermarket fender flares on their pickups. Reason is its been a bust for me so far. After putting on new fenders, rust-free box, and new paint, decided to give the truck a different look with fender flares. Can't tell ya how long it took me to figure out the install instructions poorly converted from Chinese to English with b&w photos with better resolution I've seen in hundred year old pic's. So, finally got this figured out...then the flares won't sit flush to the body looking like crap! This was a no-drill kit hoping to avoid this. I've processed returning the kit. Photo shows the flare clamped in place looking at its fit before re-installing the inner well. Lol, looks fine here, nada with the actual put in. If anyone having done this has recommendations for a decent kit would appreciate hearing. Thanks

Fender Flare .jpg

Is there two way tape on the upper part or a rubber seal?
And screws around the lip or ?

Key word...Aftermarket. Second key word...Chinese.

They look like the third generation flares so they should be correct. Here's the second generation flare for comparison...
20210711_181352.jpg

These are installed from the factory with two sided tape and screws around the inside lip. Maybe check with the FTO truck forum or even a couple of the Dodge Truck forums I've seen on the www.

Your truck is looking good :thumbsup:

Key word...Aftermarket. Second key word...Chinese.

They look like the third generation flares so they should be correct. Here's the second generation flare for comparison...
View attachment 1199141
These are installed from the factory with two sided tape and screws around the inside lip. Maybe check with the FTO truck forum or even a couple of the Dodge Truck forums I've seen on the www.

Your truck is looking good :thumbsup:
LOL, yeah - key words!

Is there two way tape on the upper part or a rubber seal?
And screws around the lip or ?
Yes, there is a u-shaped edge seal in the kit that I tried to put on and it kept coming off, nope no tape or even so as I figure, no place to apply it as there isn't a back edge on the flare where it would seem tape might be used. Part of the problem gawking at this for a while is the profile of the front part of the front flares doesn't appear to quite match with the radius of the fender. Who knows, the re-pop fenders might not be a perfect match; but they went on fine. The kit being a "no-drilling" one, has 'S' clips that seem dumb since the only way I could figure out how these go is flare sets off of the fender ridge on top of them...more gawking, lol, seems as though those could a been 'U' clips. Goofy deal. The factory and re-pop fenders have holes in them for attaching the inner well and the holes used in the flares are where the clips go (different location). Seems it could have been a possibility using the existing inner well holes to attach the flares...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yes, there is a u-shaped edge seal in the kit that I tried to put on and it kept coming off, nope no tape or even so as I figure, no place to apply it as there isn't a back edge on the flare where it would seem tape might be used. Part of the problem gawking at this for a while is the profile of the front part of the front flares doesn't appear to quite match with the radius of the fender. Who knows, the re-pop fenders might not be a perfect match; but they went on fine. The kit being a "no-drilling" one, has 'S' clips that seem dumb since the only way I could figure out how these go is flare sets off of the fender ridge on top of them...more gawking, lol, seems as though those could a been 'U' clips. Goofy deal. The factory and re-pop fenders have holes in them for attaching the inner well and the holes used in the flares are where the clips go (different location). Seems it could have been a possibility using the existing inner well holes to attach the flares...
Okay. Ya once you get those centered. There a pressure fit. When the mounting hardware is put in place around on the wheel well lip the and the seal is in place. They should tuck up to the fender skin. Im doing a set right now.
image.jpg

View attachment 1199390 View attachment 1199391 View attachment 1199392
Okay. Ya once you get those centered. There a pressure fit. When the mounting hardware is put in place around on the wheel well lip the and the seal is in place. They should tuck up to the fender skin. Im doing a set right now.
View attachment 1199389
Thanks - can I ask where you got the set? If you think of it take a few photos putting it on and the attachment clips or whatever your kit uses. I can see right off the instructions you have look a helluvalot better than what came in my kit. I've benched myself on this for now thinking plan B or finding a better kit. My Dakota is a Laramie model having the SS trim; the box I got didn't have trim and neither does the re-pop fenders. If I remount those I'll have to drill a dozen or more holes I'm not keen on doing.

Thanks - can I ask where you got the set? If you think of it take a few photos putting it on and the attachment clips or whatever your kit uses. I can see right off the instructions you have look a helluvalot better than what came in my kit. I've benched myself on this for now thinking plan B or finding a better kit. My Dakota is a Laramie model having the SS trim; the box I got didn't have trim and neither does the re-pop fenders. If I remount those I'll have to drill a dozen or more holes I'm not keen on doing.

we get our kits from Raven truck acc in Calgary. But after market are just that. Fit them up prior to finish work. We do on average 8 or 9 pickups a year. What does the bag of goodies contain in your kit? Or do yours have preholes. ?

image.jpg
image.jpg

The white piece is for equal distance

Here's the attachment clips, stubby screws, and adhesive tabs that go on fender lip where the S clips set. The instructions I got, crummy as they are, describe using the tool to install the edging to "more fit fender" and describing the 'flare' as the 'floor,' lol. Must be flares in China are called floors or vv. The flares have pre-drilled holes in them where you're to set the clips. What confused me for a while are these S clips. Only way these go on is flare sets over the bottom of them after inserting them over the fender lip creating a good 1/8" or more gap away from the fender. That's why eventually I wondered why these weren't just U clips. Who knows, I beat my head around on it long enough to return it and go hunting for a decent kit.

Fender Flare Parts.jpg

Here's the attachment clips, stubby screws, and adhesive tabs that go on fender lip where the S clips set. The instructions I got, crummy as they are, describe using the tool to install the edging to "more fit fender" and describing the 'flare' as the 'floor,' lol. Must be flares in China are called floors or vv. The flares have pre-drilled holes in them where you're to set the clips. What confused me for a while are these S clips. Only way these go on is flare sets over the bottom of them after inserting them over the fender lip creating a good 1/8" or more gap away from the fender. That's why eventually I wondered why these weren't just U clips. Who knows, I beat my head around on it long enough to return it and go hunting for a decent kit.

View attachment 1199545

same items. You should try a factory set. The might be alot more money. But you dont have to drill out any extra holes.
The picture you show is the same as what Im working with. The ones here will take about a hour to install. But before I commit to it. I make sure the body lines line up and wheel wells have no obstacles. .

same items. You should try a factory set. The might be alot more money. But you dont have to drill out any extra holes.
The picture you show is the same as what Im working with. The ones here will take about a hour to install. But before I commit to it. I make sure the body lines line up and wheel wells have no obstacles. .
Oh, my goof, looked like the clips in the bag in your photo looked different than what I have. Could be my IQ is showing despite 40 years of car projects; but this is my 1st take with fender flares. This kit from Auto Dynasty I bought thru Amazon was around $160 focusing on what looked good in the pics and no-drill thing. If a good kit is more pricy, I’m good with it to have it right. THANKS much for taking your time to chat on this! Greatly appreciate this.

Auto Transport Service
Back