• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling new power steering system

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Installed new gearbox and pump and new lines on my 69’ bee. Can I vacuum fill the system before start up? As in pull vacuum on the return port on the box and through the pressure line and pump keeping the fluid level in the reservoir above the pump. Planned to use a length of hose connected to the pump return port and the open end higher than the fill spout on the pump. I know the old way of bleeding the system just thought about vacuum filling it if possible.

I did the lock to lock bleed with a new gear box and new pump. I went through about four bottles of fluid before the bubbles all disappeared drained into an oil pan during the turns. I needed a helper to turn the wheel while I watched the bubbles and refilled. Sealed everything up and once the car started no bubbles and no fluid needed. YMMV.

Auto Transport Service
Back