• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fly invasion! As if I'm not already busy....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
Sunday evening I cracked the tank on my 'turlet'. Yeah, I bumped it with that dang top. It's no longer carried by the local big box stores but got a call in to American Standard and they got back to me but several hours later. More about that in a minute......so I decided to try and use some sealer on the cracked tank. Thought it was going to work until I noticed a very slight weep at the lower corner so drained and dried it again and did some more sealing. Still letting that cure as I type.

About the flies......when I walked into the den from the patio about 1pm yesterday, I noticed a fly and it wasn't exactly a small one. About 5/16" long maybe so went after it and got him. Adult fly? Figured he followed me in but a few minutes later there's another and yet another. Brake wash works pretty good! At least I made it to Lowe's and got some sealer for the turlet before battling 30 freaking flies!!! Yup, there's dead bodies laying mostly in the window sills. So far, have only seen one today thank God! Even after finally thinking I got them all around 7pm yesterday, one had to show up on the TV screen and it took me a couple of swipes with a hand towel to get it. Not gonna spray brake wash on my TV!

Have never had anything like this happen before. Thought maybe I had a broken window somewhere and checked all of them and nope. Pulled the attic stairs down to see if maybe they were getting in from there and that too was a no. Brought in the Sunday paper early Sunday and well, didn't take it from the bag until Monday morning and nothing odd there. I'm at a loss. Anyways, American Standard is sending me a new tank under warranty and didn't even ask if I bumped the tank with with the cover. Only thing is, it might take weeks to get here and.....hope it fits. According to the woman I talked with, she assured me it will based on part and model numbers etc. She seemed to know what she was doing and knew the business and was very pleasant to speak with on the phone. Oh yeah, she even had an American accent! :D

Now only if this Dana from hell would cooperate lol. Got the carrier stuck in today and looks like I need to make a .010" shim adjustment to get the backlash in line and hopefully it goes smoothly from there....that is if I don't make anymore screwups with the shims!

8DD4C42E-5E5C-4666-8726-63C0C64C0820.jpg

Flex seal!

Venus fly traps!
Venus-Flytrap-8.jpg

@Cranky A new turlet might have been cheaper? I got a 1.28 gpf turlet 10 years ago for $99. It had a 5 star flush rating (the best).

@Cranky A new turlet might have been cheaper? I got a 1.28 gpf turlet 10 years ago for $99. It had a 5 star flush rating (the best).
Mine is an oldie with the 1.6 gpf but it's not costing me anything for the new tank. I still have a 5 gallon turlet in the shop. That one is a two tone with a blue pot, white tank and seat :D. The street donated that one back in 85 and the seat was bought new.

American Standard and Kohler are good that way! If you need a cartridge or O-rings or seals
for one of their pieces, they'll send it to you for free. It pays to buy good ****!

Sounds like you have some dead meat laying about somewhere Cranky......that wife you divorced a few years ago....she did leave the house ..right? :poke:
:lol:
Oh yeah, she's gone! And anything that was still here once the divorce was final and I couldn't use was burned. But dang it, she took ALL of her underwear! :D

Probably a dead rodent somewhere, that would be my guess on the fly problem.
Well, all of my rodents are still living....but you probably couldn't tell by this crazy one!

IMG_20190714_135343633.jpg

Oh yeah, she's gone! And anything that was still here once the divorce was final and I couldn't use was burned. But dang it, she took ALL of her underwear! :D

Well, all of my rodents are still living....but you probably couldn't tell by this crazy one!

View attachment 1094368
That is one laid back Prairie Dog. :lol:

That is one laid back Prairie Dog. :lol:
Every now and then she wants inside of my shirt. I never approach her without wearing an old work shirt just in case she wants in. Once inside, she will root around and 'pack' things in order and after about 10 minutes of that mess, she's dead asleep and it doesn't matter if I'm in the house or the shop. Some are that way and some don't want anything much to do with ya except at feeding time lol.

Btw, haven't seen a single fly today! I'm still without a clue as where they came from......

Auto Transport Service
Back