• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Brake Drum Removal

BelvedereGuy

Local time
2:44 PM
Reaction score
I have a '65 Belvedere sedan; slant 6. The rear drums slipped right off over the studs and hub, but the front drums look different; it looks like the studs are splined to the drum. My question is: Do the front drums slip off the same way, or do I need a drum puller? I haven't attempted to tap or pound on them, because one drum is badly rusted on one side to the point of being quite out of round.
Also, I'd appreciate any info on the best place to buy new front drums.
Thanks guys!

The fronts should be a drum/hub assembly. You have to remove the spindle nut and slide the assembly off.

The drum and hub are probably two pieces but in my experience the factory likes to swage the stud where it comes through the outside of the drum on the two piece units. If you try to press out the stud and actually succeed, you will most likely damage the hole and your new studs won't fit properly. The best way to separate them is to cut or grind away the swaged area. As mentioned, better to remove the whole hub assy if you just need to get to the shoes. If you need the drum only and don't want to replace the hub then start grinding.

If it's like later 60's model B-bodies, pop off the dust cap, remove the cotter key and key retainer, spin off the nut and pull off the drum. Probably a good time to check out your inner/outer wheel bearing's and race's. For install, replace and/or repack your bearings, thin coat of grease on the spindle, tighten nut to factory spec's, toss on the key retainer and a new cotter key, install dust cap-taping lightly with a rubber or wood mallet.

You may have to play with your star adjusting wheel once the new shoe's are on to get the drums to slide back on. Also, not quite sure on 65's, but you may need to adjust them once fully assembled as well.

Good Luck

they are 2 piece,but are swedged!so either grind them or use a press out the studs.you'll need to replace the studs!

they are 2 piece,but are swedged!so either grind them or use a press out the studs.you'll need to replace the studs!
Stupid Question: Do the studs have to be pressed into the drum? Can you use studs with a shorter swedge and just install the drums like the rears, where the lug nuts hold the whole assembly together? It would be a lot easier to service in the future.

Yes, but if you get the correct replacement stud it will be just like what you said because you probably don't have the tool to swage the stud the way it was - or would even want to.

I'll say it again Don't press out the original studs without grinding off the swaged area first. Cut the stud off if you have to so you can grind it flat to the drum, then press it out.

Auto Transport Service
Back