• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front end tutorial?

Rebel74

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Is there a step by step tutorial on redoing the front end suspension on a 74 Charger? Basically putting in a front end kit or something similar? There are several vids on youtube (nothing specific to 74 Chargers that I could find, just a 71 and I think a 73) that show certain parts of the process but I was wondering if there was a complete teardown - to - installation of new kit type of thing? Or does anyone know where such a thing can be found?

I assume 74 has torsion bars, lower control arms, upper control arms, strut rod so any video you find related to a mopar front end assembly should be straight forward. Its all the same. Start with this manual. Its a 73 manual but should point you in the right direction. There may be a few things a little different but Im not familiar with 74 cars. I assume they didnt change that much. I could be totally wrong on this..

I was a little terrified of doing this myself on my 70 RR since I was always a body man, but I stumbled on a video by this guy on YouTube called Jonny Mopar. After watching it and his other videos, I went ahead and did it on my 70. He has since put out a lot more videos on front end work. I saw him at the Mopars in May two years ago and went up and thanked him for the video. Great videos and just drawn out examples of things I'd get friends to help with in the old days. Anyway, wanted to share...

If you get, and follow, the FSM, that's all you'll need to do the job.
I agree after I’ve done it and I used it as a reference when I put it back together. But if we could all read books we would not need teachers. YouTubers have made everything easier to comprehend. A lot of the videos are not helpful and some are wrong, but the video above really got me started.

I agree after I’ve done it and I used it as a reference when I put it back together. But if we could all read books we would not need teachers. YouTubers have made everything easier to comprehend. A lot of the videos are not helpful and some are wrong, but the video above really got me started.
The FSM has pictures... They do help you to understand what is what and where it goes.. You dont have to be able to read to look at a diagram. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.

The FSM has pictures... They do help you to understand what is what and where it goes.. You dont have to be able to read to look at a diagram. As they say a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Agreed. YouTube is cliff notes but I still love watching others working on my favorite cars.

The difference between YouTube and the FSM is that the FSM is always right... YouTube can be a big help but you really need to understand what you are attempting to do as there is a lot of "wrong" on YouTube. All that said, the front ends are not complicated and relatively easy to rebuild.

Thanks for the help guys. I assume the FSM is the 2 volume Service Manual put out by Dodge?

Auto Transport Service
Back