• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front fender gaps on a 1970 charger

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
My 70 has some old wreck repairs. Im trying to see if my fender gaps are what they should be.

Im getting 53 1/8 just in front of the rear top bolt for the fenders by the hinges and 51 3/16 up front at the end of the fenders.

Anyone have measurements off a straight or unmolested car?

Thanks.

You might also call a frame shop in Dallas and ask. I assume they have that information for fixing cars. If you decide it needs to be made square, I find the one I use to be very reasonable.

I found one in Hurst I plan on having check the measurements…since my garage floor isn’t perfect and the best I have to measure with is a tape measure.

I can't follow the OPs measurements. I'd need it phrased better or a drawing. Numbers are meaningless without describing where the measurements begin and end.
Is this the width between the fenders for the hood?
If so, the hood IS wider at the rear. Yes, I have two 1970 Chargers....one unwrecked and one repaired to match measurements to the UNwrecked one.
I might be able to measure later. The numbers will be the same on the 68 and 69 models IF you're asking about width.

I can't follow the OPs measurements. I'd need it phrased better or a drawing. Numbers are meaningless without describing where the measurements begin and end.
Is this the width between the fenders for the hood?
If so, the hood IS wider at the rear. Yes, I have two 1970 Chargers....one unwrecked and one repairs to match measurements to the UNwrecked one.
Sorry. I meant from the inside edge to the inside edge of the front two fenders at the very end of the fender right before the grill.

I just threw a measuring tape across the back of the inner fenders right in front of where the fender bolts on near the hood hinge and measured between the same inside edges. I’ll try to get some better photos if needed.

The hood seems to adjust to have even gaps. The measurement between the front rails seems to be right at 33 7/8 to 34” center to center in the drain. I was just trying to make sure the gaps between my fenders were close. What is a proper panel gap for these cars on the hood/fenders/doors?

I’ll have it checked professionally. It just doesn’t seem to have extensive damage. I’m not sure if maybe it was straightened previously, or maybe it’s minor.

The cars aren't are the same, and were engineered to be adjustable regardless.
It's door to quarter and rocker bottom
Hood square to cowl
Then fenders to door- cowl and hood and rocker. Make gaps as decent as possible .

Auto Transport Service
Back