• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frt End lateral drift on toll roads

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:34 AM
Reaction score
Hey ,guys car is a completely restored 67 440 Gtx! All premium replacement parts , new manual steering PST box 16to1 , disc brake from conversion, timken bearings , moog up and lower bushings! Lower control arm bushing properly installed, with no slack lower bushing to pivot shaft or in k frame ! Can any help with a side to side drift on the née toll road near me ! It’s just noticeable for a driver to sense , not so much for a passenger to feel ! All replaceable parts have be ck and double ckd ! 225 60 15 on frt ! Fyi Thanks

Hey ,guys car is a completely restored 67 440 Gtx! All premium replacement parts , new manual steering PST box 16to1 , disc brake from conversion, timken bearings , moog up and lower bushings! Lower control arm bushing properly installed, with no slack lower bushing to pivot shaft or in k frame ! Can any help with a side to side drift on the née toll road near me ! It’s just noticeable for a driver to sense , not so much for a passenger to feel ! All replaceable parts have be ck and double ckd ! 225 60 15 on frt ! Fyi Thanks
Do you have a print out of the total alignment?

I think that it might be that the toe in needs to be adjusted to account for the crown in the road.

I do not , car was not aligned on a computer alignment rack , old bear machine by an old Mopar guy as well as many other brands of classic car in North Houston Tx area!

• This situation only rears it’s ugly head on new toll round !

How is the construction different on this toll road vs. others in the area?

I think that it might be that the toe in needs to be adjusted to account for the crown in the road.
Interestingly this situation happens very quickly, as if it’s wandering!

I do not , car was not aligned on a computer alignment rack , old bear machine by an old Mopar guy as well as many other brands of classic car in North Houston Tx area!
You need to get it on a newer rack and get readings on all 4 wheels. . This will tell you a lot. Believe me. Through the years we fixed many so called cars that were supposed to be aligned. A true 4 wheel alignment printout tells the story. If you do not want to do it then guess on.

How is the construction different on this toll road vs. others in the area?
The new construction concrete, has rather deep screel lines in it running parallel to the roadway!
You need to get it on a newer rack and get readings on all 4 wheels. . This will tell you a lot. Believe me. Through the years we fixed many so called cars that were supposed to be aligned. A true 4 wheel alignment printout tells the story. If you do not want to do it then guess on.
Thanks for you view, on the problem, but it appears, that you have no idea on what I might do , to deal with an issue ! Thanks for the wise insight! Have , you have no idea what is available to correct an issue! So from here to a computer rack

The new construction concrete, has rather deep screel lines in it running parallel to the roadway!
Ah, therein lies the clue methinks - grooves in the roadway "grabbing" tires indicates a tire situation as much
as anything. Some tires (namely, bia ply ones) are more susceptible to this phenomena - but some radial
tread patterns are, too.
What tires you running?

Thanks for you view, on the problem, but it appears, that you have no idea on what I might do , to deal with an issue ! Thanks for the wise insight! Have , you have no idea what is available to correct an issue! So from here to a computer rack
I have no idea as to what you are trying to convey. All I am saying is a 4 wheel alignment machine will tell you where all 4 wheels are pointing. With that print out you can post the findings and get pertinent opinions.

Does it drive fine on other surfaces? That’s just what happens to most RWD cars when they drive on grooved pavement. All of mine do it and they drive great otherwise.

I have no idea as to what you are trying to convey. All I am saying is a 4 wheel alignment machine will tell you where all 4 wheels are pointing. With that print out you can post the findings and get pertinent opinions.
Yep. I've had Fred (my '68 GTX) on a 4-wheel machine in the past and you get all sorts of information
on how the front-rear relationship of the wheels is (or isn't) working - not to mention, stuff I found
interesting as heck.
The tech was doing his thing and I asked if it was possible to "pull corners" (check diagonal dimensions of
opposing wheels) and he did that. Found out Fred is close to 3/8" from "perfect" when doing that comparison!
I was amazed - and quite pleased, obviously.

Some people think 4 wheel alignment is of little benefit to our old cars.
They're wrong about that.

Ah, therein lies the clue methinks - grooves in the roadway "grabbing" tires indicates a tire situation as much
as anything. Some tires (namely, bia ply ones) are more susceptible to this phenomena - but some radial
tread patterns are, too.
What tires you running?
BFG TA radials Frt 225 60 15 255 60 15 rears

Maybe it's subconscious as a result of the ridiculous amount of toll$ and you're in a form of shock that's transmitting physically to how you're driving.

Now that I think about it, I have a problem with the front end that feels like an alignment problem but it only happens on a major road in Lex. After about five miles it stopped but I really thought there was a mechanical problem. This was in a 72 Charger Rallye all original, less than 50K miles. And it's not a toll road.

Since it is manual steering, it probably has manual steering alignment specs that have negative castor to help slow speed steering wheel effort.

I'd try putting power steering specs in it.

Had an Charger that would wobble at high speeds due to manual alignment settings, using power steering specs solved problem.

They probably cut rain grooves in the road. They suck for motorcycles!
Get a real alignment by a front end shop to fix it.

I 75 North or South in Cincinnati in a 70 'Cuda felt like ****. The road is so "rutted" it feels like the front end or tires are screwed up.

Auto Transport Service
Back