• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel pump noise?

Bobby Sixkiller

Local time
8:44 AM
Reaction score
Ok so my fuel pump went out a couple weeks as go. 74 challenger with stock low cr 440. Headers intake 750 holley. No big deal. I put an electric pump to get by that was laying around. Today I get my new pump in the mail. Put it on. Remove electric. All back to normal. It makes a strange noise. Not a knock or tick but like a loud suction on off noise. It’s a carter stock type fuel pump. Nothing fancy. No high psi or anything. I’ve heard pumps make noise but only when they are off and you push the lever and hear the suction. Anybody else heard this before?

Ok confirm it’s the pump. Pulled it back off. Start. No noise. Compared to old. Not much different. Old pump was only a year or so old. I’d buy an expensive carter/holley/edelbrock but not sure they would be better. Then need a regulator for certain ones. This pump is carter m6935. If it’s normal for a noise I’ll leave it be. If not it’s back to electric until I decide to do something else.

Can't say that I recall ever hearing noises from a mechanical pump before...
You say the pushrod was "checked". Does that means it measures the full 3.22"?
I wonder if the thing is sucking at least some air from the tank?

My calipers are electric and the battery is dead so I didn’t measure the pushrod but compared it with two other used ones. Same length and no abnormal wear. Also it runs good. When I pulled the pump back off I pump it by hand and it’s really loud on suction side. Not thinking it’s bad really just loud. I’ve never heard one make noise before either. Man I’m so tired of cheap made parts that used to last a decade or two easily.

I don't recall ever hearing one make noise over the sound of a running engine either. Something doesn't seem right with that pump. I would be scared that the diapham would let loose and leave me on the side of the road or worse yet fill the crankcase with gas. I would try to return it or send that one out to be rebuilt. There is a thread on here about problems with Carter pumps and a company that rebuilds them.

I know the sound of which you speak. I noticed it when I put a new Carter pump on my Dart. I can only hear it with the hood open but it has been doing its job so I guess I will ignore it til it quits.

I recently put a new Carter M3672 on the 361 in my 64 Fury. It was making the weird noises. But it seems to have quit since I started driving the car and put about 50 miles on it... so far

Auto Transport Service
Back