• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel System Questions

BigBear440

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
Starting to replace fuel system on my 68 Coronet RT and have a couple of questions. The engine in the car is a HP 440 out of a 69 - Shouldn't the fuel lines be 3/8"? Would it be worthwhile to make them 1/2 inch? Planning on replacing the tank, sending unit, straps, pad, filters etc. Based on your experiences, I would appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks!

BigBear440

scat pack logo.jpg

:edgy:

scat pack logo.jpg

1/2" wouldn't be necessary - you won't be needing the ability to move that much fuel with a 440 (unless it's a really radical, high HP motor). Factory 440 cars had a 3/8" feed with a 1/4" vapor/return line which worked well. I'd recommend sticking with that.

Six pack cars came from the factory with a 3/8". Why would you need anything more?

When all the fuel in a 1/2" line has to fill two carb bowls that have a seat orifice diameter of less that 1/8" what's the point? 3/8" is plenty and I bet even 5/16's will be fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back