• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gap size 1971 charger

velrob

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if 1/4 inch is to large between the fender and front of the door. If I make it smaller the front of the door will hit the fender when opening. I'm been working on it all day driving me nuts haha. I know the lines weren't perfect from the factory but wondering if it'll look weird with a 1/4 gap. Just working on the final body lines.

IMG20231128142525.jpg

Just wondering if 1/4 inch is to large between the fender and front of the door. If I make it smaller the front of the door will hit the fender when opening. I'm been working on it all day driving me nuts haha. I know the lines weren't perfect from the factory but wondering if it'll look weird with a 1/4 gap. Just working on the final body lines.

View attachment 1565295
'71 charger interior finish 2.jpg
I was able to get max 3/16". Dangerous part is near the very top of fender and upper door body line where it goes into and under the fender upon opening. I measured about .030" clearance. Chipped paint is out. I managed to get all of the gaps at 3/16 or 1/8. I remember it taking a lot of work and time. Much luck.

1/4 inch is about perfect......

but on a car with an exterior cowl panel (obviously not yours), the front of the hood will dictate the front of the fenders; then the doors split the difference to the quarter panel...... which may end up any where from 3/16 to 5/16

Last edited:
Ok I was trying to get 1/8. I saw a guy in a video try to get the width of a paint stir stick but its tough. I think I can reach 3/16. Im not sure how thick the paint will be and if it will interfere with the font of the door. Whats the typical thickness of paint with clear coat? Can paint reach over 1/16 thickness?

Im just worried after I paint the car itll interfere with the door if I try to reach 3/16.

Ok I was trying to get 1/8. I saw a guy in a video try to get the width of a paint stir stick but its tough. I think I can reach 3/16. Im not sure how thick the paint will be and if it will interfere with the font of the door. Whats the typical thickness of paint with clear coat? Can paint reach over 1/16 thickness?

Im just worried after I paint the car itll interfere with the door if I try to reach 3/16.
.062" is pretty thick paint. You can also tweak by moving the fender up, down, in, and out, forwards, and backwards. First get the rear door gap, and then parallel to rocker panel. Doors are very heavy. Always check that critical top of door/fender clearance.tonica charger.jpg

I always try to make them 3/16 some times you cant then i make them 1/4 id sooner have them to wide than to narrow

3/16 to 1/4 is acceptable, more than a quarter inch starts to look like too much of a gap. My hood to fender gap is borderline on being too wide.

20221107_101520.jpg

20221107_101523.jpg

20221107_101543.jpg

20221107_101534.jpg

20221107_101513.jpg

20221107_101507.jpg

3/16 to 1/4 is acceptable, more than a quarter inch starts to look like too much of a gap. My hood to fender gap is borderline on being too wide.

View attachment 1565666

View attachment 1565667

View attachment 1565668

View attachment 1565670

View attachment 1565673

View attachment 1565674

View attachment 1565666

View attachment 1565667

View attachment 1565668

View attachment 1565670

View attachment 1565673

View attachment 1565674
Mine is similar to yours. My fenders are 1/4 and door to quarters is 3/16.

Ok thanks so I wont fuss then trying to make them all the same. Looks good thanks.

As stated by charger vert, 3/16" to 1/4" is fine in bare steel. Once you add primer, sealer, BC, and CC your gap will decrease a little. Remember that your gap is going to see coating thickness from both panels. You should be just fine! If you go with paint stick clearance you would probably have problems, not so much from paint (as it is maybe 6-8 mils), but from body movement causing panels to contact. Panel hitting panel, BAD.

alright that's easier to work with then. I was trying to get paint stick thickness and that was impossible. Thanks

Not to mention you would be surprised when you get it painted all one color how much better the gaps look

Ya I guess the primer make it looks worse. Lol

Thank you for posting this and all of the responses!!!! I’m in the process of setting my gaps and was thinking I had to set them to the paint stirrer thickness too. I’m guessing I watched the same YouTube video as you. I was ready to pull my hair out a few times. What a PITA!!!

Thank you for posting this and all of the responses!!!! I’m in the process of setting my gaps and was thinking I had to set them to the paint stirrer thickness too. I’m guessing I watched the same YouTube video as you. I was ready to pull my hair out a few times. What a PITA!!!
LMFAO!! There was one video a guy used a paint stir stick for the entire car. I was trying to make everything match that thickness. I was getting so fustrated. So im getting gaps around 1/4 and call it a day otherwise this car will never be done. Plus like Cawley said the paint will make it look much better and that makes sense.

Same here. I’ve been looking at a bunch of images and videos on internet. Gaps are pretty much all over the place. Some look 1/8, 3/16 or 1/4”+. At least to me anyway.

I had my friends Gary,who did the 71 wingcars,and my friend Rick help me set the gaps on my 71 Charger R/T. Gary knew a body man with many years experience and asked him to come and help him set the gaps on his first 71 Charger R/T he built back in the late eighties. Gary told the body guy that he tried adjusting the panels mechanically every way possible and the gaps were still not right. He said the guy got absolutely medieval on his freshly body worked doors,fenders,hood and trunklid. The guy used 2x3 and 2x4 pieces of wood to rack all the panels until the gaps were acceptable. The guy manhandled the panels so much that Gary was cringing the whole time,but at the end of the day the gaps were spot on! This is something that absolutely has to be done before the car is painted.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back