• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting back into it

TIGwelder

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just found the site and figured I'd register and say hello. I've been a Mopar fan since my teens and I'm officially in the 40+ group by a little bit ;)

I'm originally from NJ and used to always be at Atco or Englishtown running Friday nights or running brackets at E-Town on Sundays in the late 80's early 90's. The car was a daily driver for me back when I first built it in my early 20's...until the 3800 stall, 4:10s and a 26" tire got to be a little much for a Parkway commute. Nothing like original FlowMasters to wake you up on the morning commute at 60 mph with 4:10s :)

Late 80's pic
vbpgimage.php

My car is a black 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 I've owned since around 1991. I had my first dark green 1966 Coronet at Mopars@Englishtown and a guy walked up and told me he had another one in better shape. Eyebrow raised, I listened to what he had to say, drove down a week later to a remote area of Virginia. It was his mothers car and it was on a farm sitting on the edge of a corn field under a tree. $500!!

The car sat for a year and I decided to get going on it. I cleaned up the sun bleached car (yeah..the paint buffed to a shine!!) and with my youthful energy, young back and help from a friend completely swapped everything car to car (motor/trans/front end/rear and springs/interior..I mean everything) ...right before the next Mopars@englishtown. This was around 1992 and so is the pic below

vbpgimage.php

I also have my first Coronet 500 I got around '87-'88 in rougher shape sitting on a trailer for safe keeping.

Some speed bumps on the road of life had me scrambling at times, but I refused to let the car go. Luckily I had a place to store it where it didn't cost me anything, otherwise I wouldn't have it. I went from too broke to do anything to too busy to do anything.

The rat race growing old, I moved to Florida in the Spring of 2000. By this time the car had already been mostly sitting around for about 5 years. I hauled it down with me and it sat in my garage hibernating while I hit the ground running trying to get going. Around 2006 I replaced all the fluids, fram can fuel filter, all rubber fuel lines and 2 back tires (The tires on there were from 1989!!) and drove it a few times. Header decided it had enough and split. I parked it.

I relocated a few miles away in 2008 and tried to move it. Of course I waited to move the car last. Seems the old electric fuel pump didn't like all these long term naps to much. I got the pump apart/cleaned/reinstalled while still the the process of trying to move an entire houseful of crap. Seems the bottom of the tank didn't like that too much and started leaking. Slap some goop on it, fire it up and get it moved. Once again the car sits. Once again it looks like it belongs sitting on the side of a corn field under a tree.

It's like a time capsule. Everything is the same aside from the paint getting beat up and some rust from the NE when I had it outside for a few years (lower door corners)

Car was basic, but ran consist mid 13's. Back then that wasn't too bad for the motor I threw together and is still running

1966 Coronet 500
'70 2 BBL 383 motor - hardened seats - Hemi springs - SS exhaust valves - 284/484 cam - 3/8 pushrods - hamburgers deep steel pan - Holley Street Dom intake - 650 Holley DP - Manual 727/3800 stall turbo action - electronic dist and volt reg - super stocks - 8-3/4 w/4:10's - 4 core rad - old "Disc-o-tech" brake swap

That '70 2 barrel 383 motor came out of a old lady's low mileage Newport and I'll tell you what. It's damn near indestructible! If I remember correctly the 70 2 barrel motors had a steel crank (I'll have to re-check that). I also have a video from when a friend and I put it in the car that i'm converting to DVD.

Had all sorts of cars. Some would be considered non muscle Mopars.

66 Dart Convertible - first car - Six banger!
73 Satellite sebring plus ( buckets/console/almost like road runner package )
74 Satallite sebring
69 Road Runner 383 bench 4-speed - airgrabber - kicks self for selling. Didn't have a garage to work on it. Sold it for $700:banghead: because I was in a jam. It got restored by the next owner so that's cool
66 Coronet 500 HT - dark green - Still have sitting on a trailer in storage
66 Coronet 500 HT - black - Out in the garage
69 Dart GT / 273 - Yellow ( Sold in '91 to friends son. Runs @ E-Town with it)
70 Duster - 6 banger
70 Duster 340 - rough ,but the car was a blast - got restored by next owner
4 Cummins pickups ( '91 250, '94 3500, '00 3500 and my current '06 3500)

In 2008 I purchased one of the B5 blue Charger SRT-8 Super Bee cars. Love it, but I'm getting the itch to get the ol' Coronet on the road again.

So..here I am..trying to get motivated and researching parts. They make stuff now I could only dream about before. I'm looking at an ice cracked windshield that needs replacing and an entire new gas tank and accessories. Found what I need...now it's save and get my butt in gear.

Den

Great story!, welcome to the site. I think you will find this place very motivating, I do.

welcome,and yes these guys here will definately get you motivated.

Welcome to the site. New Jersey to Florida you say? Same here, I know Englishtown "Raceway Park" well.

Looks like we're neighbors r.serio . I live in NE Cape
If I see you around I'll introduce myself.

Auto Transport Service
Back