• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting spoiled at work.. FINALLY!

Any in Maryland? I can always find a use for old machine tools...

Unfortunately no.... I've never done any plant work in Maryland.... Have you checked out Bidspotter? Industrial & Machinery auctions, tell them your zip & how far your willing to travel & they show you whats coming up for action... I've bought a few things... Don't have room for more machines...

I typically deal with a friend of the family for all of my machine needs but he kept coming up empty at least for anything I wanted so I started looking and found this place. Yoder machine by Toledo Ohio, insane inventory! There's 3 bays, this picture is looking down bay 1 close to the midway point.. probably 300+ machines! I paid more than I typically would have but I also had a big enough selection that I came away with exactly what I wanted.
IMG_20211221_135014156.jpg

Sounds like you're a talented guy...........

That is probably the biggest UNDERSTATEMENT of the year. You would be amazed at the magnitude and diversity of projects this young man takes on and completes with craftsman quality results. I do a lot of different tasks/repairs myself with good results, but this guy is at a whole 'nother level. :thumbsup:

Friend of mine owns a small machine shop. His two twenty-something sons work there mostly
full time except for school. They both program and run two Hurco VMC's. They just bought a
new Mazak turning center and the one son and the Father program and run that. Do you believe
that niether kid knows how to set-up and run a Bridgeport????? WTF! I mean, they can use it
like a drill press, but not run a job in it. Ha!

IMO, Machinists for production/manufacturing are a dying breed. Toolrooms or proto shops now days have the machinists. Most big Production Shops have operators that load the CNC machines and watch the chips fly.

IMO, Machinists for production/manufacturing are a dying breed. Toolrooms or proto shops now days have the machinists. Most big Production Shops have operators that load the CNC machines and watch the chips fly.

I keep hearing that... I was hearing that thirty years ago & while there is a good bit of truth to it there remains a need for skilled machinists able to create one off parts... I spend time in shops with allot of CNC capability but very few of those shops don't keep a few manual machines... And allot of repair/service facilities keep a full machine shop... CNC is great when you want a dozen or a hundred parts all exactly the same... Not so good at one off parts or repairing damaged parts.... Also great at turning allot of parts into scrap if the programmer screws up... I was in a facility last year that had 40K worth of scrap cause instead of running one part & checking in closely somebody got cocky & ran the whole job....

First fire sprinkler company I ever worked for, the owner would spend money on equipment readily -
but he wouldn't even fess up a $0.25 raise to a good employee.
His "reason"? "That equipment ain't going anywhere, but that employee will quit one day".

Yes, I'm serious. That was his "business model".

Some owners need some one to look them in the eyes and explain what will happen
I had the owner of a brewery did not what me to shut his boiler down for 10 days until I said your call but when it crashes you will not be making beer while you locate a new boiler to install or rent one which will be more than 10 days and expensive
I had it back on line in 8 days with the refractory repaired

I am glad to see they are doing the right things with you

That is probably the biggest UNDERSTATEMENT of the year. You would be amazed at the magnitude and diversity of projects this young man takes on and completes with craftsman quality results. I do a lot of different tasks/repairs myself with good results, but this guy is at a whole 'nother level. :thumbsup:
Don't know that I stack up to that but I appreciate the kind words.

A lot of truth to that for production shops but there's definitely still a need for those 1 off parts and repairs.

You have to remember that a top machinist, toolmaker, what have you, is always trying to figure out a better or faster way to make things.
The logical end to that in these times is CNC machining.
There are a ton of variables and circumstances that make conventional machining work out better, but these days it's the exception.

A lot of truth to that for production shops but there's definitely still a need for those 1 off parts and repairs.
Yep,
We agree, that's why I mentioned Proto-type and Toolmaker shops require the best Machinist. Machine Operators can't cut it.
Also with the latest and greatest Auto-Cad software out there, the Engineers can design the part with Auto-Cad, generate the CNC tape/software and stereolithography software to grow the proto-type for fit check. But just because you can develop the part using auto-Cad and stereolithography does not make the part producible, or even cost effective for production.

I love shop environment. We have over 15 different manual lathes, over 25 manual Bridgeports and Laguns. 2 production band saws, over 60 CNC machines and 32 engine dyno rooms. Needless to say work is like paradise for me everyday.

Auto Transport Service
Back