• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grill Hardware, 1971 GTX

Slant 6 Music

Local time
11:06 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I'm stumped. Anyone know a source for 3/8 washer hex head screws? The kits out there (if supplied by SW Productions) have incorrect sizes. They have acknowledged this. All the kits I see on vendor sites, look identical and it's real obvious that they don't contain the correct long ones for the outside bezels, just by looking at the pics.

I'm just looking for the 3 that attach the middle grill to the 3 brackets coming off of the lower part of the bumper. They thread into clips attached to the grill. I would like to use the correct size so I don't take a chance of breaking the old plastic on the grill where the inserts are attached.

You would think they would be easy to find, but I can't find any of this style. As you can
see in this pic, what the kits supply are way too short to thread through.

Screw1.jpg
screw2.jpg

BTW, those kits also contain the wrong size for the outer bezel, take a look.
Pic 6 corner bezel screw size difference.jpg

They also use that same size screw to hold the grill pcs together. They don't work because they are too short and skinny to thread into the holes.

Ok, I'm stumped. Anyone know a source for 3/8 washer hex head screws? The kits out there (if supplied by SW Productions) have incorrect sizes. They have acknowledged this. All the kits I see on vendor sites, look identical and it's real obvious that they don't contain the correct long ones for the outside bezels, just by looking at the pics.

I'm just looking for the 3 that attach the middle grill to the 3 brackets coming off of the lower part of the bumper. They thread into clips attached to the grill. I would like to use the correct size so I don't take a chance of breaking the old plastic on the grill where the inserts are attached.

You would think they would be easy to find, but I can't find any of this style. As you can

View attachment 1267887 View attachment 1267888
A wanted ad here on the site should get you what you need

I am an employee of SWR Reproductions and it's funny that I came across this post as I am working on correcting this kit as I type. (1.) first picture the bolt above I am told needs to be 1" long, correct? (2.) The chrome outer headlamp bezel screw is 2" long and the inner is 1 1/4"? Can the outer screw have a pan head like the black one or is that too big, because chrome fillister head screws are a thing of the past, but I could have it made. Any help is appreciated

BTW, those kits also contain the wrong size for the outer bezel, take a look.View attachment 1267889

View attachment 1267887 View attachment 1267888
Best thing to do is get into the AUvecco fastener or Mr. G's catalogue. There's other sites also that carry correct fasteners with correct head markings such as Hoover Mopar parts. in Washington or Oregon state. A lot of the correct fasteners aren't available any longer. Don't rely on the places making packages for grille, fender or whatever hardware kits. They find the cheapest bolt that "fits the hole" in most cases. Google in your friend.

Only info I can offer is that when taking apart my 71 parts car front end, every last one of the grill bolts like pictured above broke and/or needed to be ground off in order to get it apart.

That's likely why they are hard to find.

I ended up sourcing screws that fit the holes and painting them black, plus kept whatever original ones that were still in it, like the long filet ones...or whatever you call that style. We're on our own for these for now. Fortunately, no one will know the difference unless you're being judged at a national event or something I guess. The important thing is to make the sure grill stays in place!

I find a lot of useful screws at Napa. My Napa is new and has bins with all sorts of odd screws, worth a look if you have a bigger Napa near by.

Bump,can anyone help this guy out,we need this product to be correct.

Auto Transport Service
Back