• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hagerty: '66 '67 Chargers up 36% Superbirds Down 16%

SteveSS

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
This one came as a bit of a surprise, but we can explain. Certain iterations of the first-generation Dodge Charger are up an impressive 36 percent in the latest update after showing zero growth in the market since the beginning of the year. That prior stagnation is perfectly understandable, as the first-gen Charger is profoundly less popular than the second and third generations.
With the muscle car market launching nearly as hard as values for Japanese collector cars, however, some increase-by-association was expected. Then, we have the 30- to 40-percent increase in values for second-gen, big-block Chargers since late 2021, and a recent sale record broken for a Hemi Charger Daytona. So, Chargers are hot, hot, hot—and first-gens have been comparatively cheap, cheap, cheap. As a result, Charger fans are getting while the getting is good—if it’s not already too late.
The main winner is the 1967 Charger with the iconic 440-cubic-inch V-8: Values for #3 condition cars leapt from $27,800 to $38,900 this month, the latter amount swapping neatly with the prior value for a #2 condition 440 Charger, which now sits at $54,500.

Superbirds could well be the most vexing vehicles we’ve tracked since the beginning of the year. They had an incredible showing at the Kissimmee and Scottsdale sales in January, but by May, those prices looked like overexcited buying. Then, in the past two weeks, a strong showing at Barrett-Jackson Las Vegas posted a $1.65 million sale for a Hemi-equipped car, the most paid for a Superbird that hasn’t been piloted by NASCAR legend Richard Petty.
While a single huge sale does not set a new market, it does exemplify the market’s current volatility. And although 440 Six Barrel cars are not quite the same league as Hemi-powered ‘birds, their trajectory is a trend worth monitoring closely. It is hard to ignore the weak showing 440 cars experienced at Mecum’s mega Indianapolis sale, where Six Barrel cars lost the most ground. Superbirds frequently headline major auctions and come up for sale often enough that if a turnaround occurs, it will become apparent quickly.

Just puts some of those cars out of the reach of regular guys. Not complaining. It's the reality of the classic car market. I like the oddball stuff. I like the 4 door sedan cop car look with a healthy big block. I did see a tan 4 door '70 Plymouth Belvedere, but it had a 440 with a four speed, black steelies, and dog dish hubcaps at a car show, and i thought it was the coolest car there. The beauty of the oddball car is, you won't get torched for having the wrong finish on a hood spring, or if it does not have a numbers matching drive train, or paint. I don't want anybody showing up at my door with pitchforks, and torches haha :)

I don’t know what to make of Hagerty pricing.
They probably put the most efforts into tracking vintage pricing, but cars aren’t like stocks that trade daily, and no two cars are the same.
Recently I was considering a ‘70 Coronet R/T convertible and their valuation was far below ‘69’s. Which I would guess is true, but by 1/3rd?
They sent me an email recently saying several of my cars were underinsured. I called my agent and they increased one, but they turned down increasing the value of the other to what their email said it was worth! And also, Hagerty had an article around the same time saying top examples of them were worth about 50% more than their email cited. And my car would probably rank in the top tier.
So for all the work their valuation team does, they are at best educated guesses.

The big problem with superbirds is so many are unrestored and need a 100k restoration, or have an improperly restoration. Buyers spending big money know this and will not bid. Proper fresh restorations seem to bring plenty of money.

Auto Transport Service
Back