• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hagerty Redline Rebuild - 440 Chrysler rebuild and performance mods

Thunderdan

Local time
5:46 AM
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has followed this build, but it looks to be a pretty well done, straightforward rebuild series on a mild 440. I think the final episode where they do the incremental changes and comparison retest (headers first, ignition 2nd, carb and intake 3rd, rockers 4th..) is the real attention-getter.

How Much Horsepower Can We Make? Upgrading Our Chrysler 440 V-8 Engine With Bolt-on Parts

If anyone out there in our community may have a connection at Redline Rebuild or may know what type of cam they used in this please share (I couldn't seem to find the specs in the show/episode notes or mentioned anywhere).

Thanks!

I did watch it a few weeks back & am pretty sure it was a Comp Thumper cam that was used. Not 100% sure though.
What was interesting was when the TQ was replaced with a Holley, engine picked up 9 hp....but lost 20-30 ft/lbs in the mid-range. The H was subsequently re-jetted & made a little more HP, but still lost tq. No attempt was made to re-jet the TQ. Hmmm.

A better intake than that weiand would have improved tq and hp I bet. I would have liked to see a street dominator with the thermoquad and an rpm with the holley.

I did watch it a few weeks back & am pretty sure it was a Comp Thumper cam that was used. Not 100% sure though.
What was interesting was when the TQ was replaced with a Holley, engine picked up 9 hp....but lost 20-30 ft/lbs in the mid-range. The H was subsequently re-jetted & made a little more HP, but still lost tq. No attempt was made to re-jet the TQ. Hmmm.
Yeah, the Thermoquad, when set up properly for the application should be on par with the Holly, but not sure how far in the weeds they cared to get with it before swapping.

A better intake than that weiand would have improved tq and hp I bet. I would have liked to see a street dominator with the thermoquad and an rpm with the holley.
Yeah, that weiand intake was a relic, however it was set up as a 'period' build from the '70's so it's what may have likely been used back then. A Performer RPM would have undoubtedly been better across the board in comparison.

Many things could have been done with the TQ that could have, & most likely, would have made more peak hp than the H. None of these could have been done on the H.....

The TQ was already 20-30 ft/lbs higher in the mid range.
[1] Air valve kick adjusted
[2] AV spring adjusted
[3] AV fully open position adjusted
[4] Sec t/blade WOT position adjusted

Auto Transport Service
Back