• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone brought a car to US from Canada

Greg Luhowiak

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
Found a car I am interested in Canada. It’s about 400 miles away from me. Sounds like it would be a whole lot less hassle to have a company bring the car to me. My passport is expired etc and it sounds like a lot of paperwork. Anybody have experience with this or used a reputable company to handle it all? Worried about the cost of the whole deal too. Any insight would be great! Thanks!

We just had a thread on this very subject in the past few weeks.

You guys have it easy. Seller signs the ownership over to you and a bill of sale, pick it up and go home with it. We have to give 72 hours notice to US customs that we're bring a car to Canada.. pay the one and only broker that's allowed to do the paperwork for US customs and hope they get it submitted 72 hours in advance before we show up at the border with the car. Then we have to figure out how to stop at US customs on our way to Canada to present the car and presumably have it removed from the USA registry and then proceed to Canada customs to pay the GST on the price of the car. Makes a quick run impossible.

That said, you can't currently come to Canada to pick up a car... so a shipper would be your only choice right now.

I brought my superbee in from Canada a few years back, used Champion autosport, they run a route from Montreal to South Florida and may go to your area. Danny is who I dealt with he had a broker who handled the paperwork.

http://www.championautosport.com/aboutus.html
Thank you for the tip. I will give them a try. Do they handle all the Duty fees etc? And does all those fees add up pretty quick or not too bad?

I drove from Pittsburgh, Pa. to Nigeria Falls meet with the seller. Took 10 minutes for the paperwork and drove back to Pittsburgh in time for a late dinner.

Like I said.. easy as hell for you guys coming North and taking them home, but you can't do that right now! Border is closed for non essential crossings..

They don't want us possibly infected Americans right now, EH ????
Imagine if you show up in a vehicle with New York plates !!!!!
Stay Safe, EH ???

Well said Wayne. Wish it was that easy for us. Dollar exchange plus taxes hurts the wallet.

Auto Transport Service
Back