• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this area of Florida been hit by a hurricane before?

This is the part that gets me. I have no doubt that Florida is a beautiful place to live. Great, go there. Live right on the beach if you can. Just know you are living in a dangerous place and it's not the responsibility of others living in a not-so-picturesque location to cover you from hurricane damage through federal taxes.
So how about everyone in California with earthquakes, or Kansas with tornadoes, or Forest Fires across the entire west?

With my stick house, I had to get a 15% deductible. Been watching this thing for days now, even before it started up, the computer models were on it. So I have to get started on preparations early because I’m slow now. Shoot, they closed something like 21 Waffle Houses in the state and had to get Jim Cantore inside, so you know it must be the real thing.
It’s only serious when Publix closes

I will, however, agree somewhat with the OP in a certain sense. It's in a similar vein to the jersey shore. Tax dollars should NOT be utilized to subsidize anyone with mega-dollar homes on the shore.
It's actually worse that that.....

The state of FL actually subsidizes high risk property insurance with a state owned insurance company called "Citizens", often referred to here as the "insurer of last resort".

In effect, all citizens of FL that don't have Citizens policies are helping to pay for the expensive premiums of those that live on the waterfront.

WTF?
This is a good example. If you got the money to buy a waterfront home, then pay the F'n insurance yourself.

I will, however, agree somewhat with the OP in a certain sense. It's in a similar vein to the jersey shore. Tax dollars should NOT be utilized to subsidize anyone with mega-dollar homes on the shore.

This is a good example. If you got the money to buy a waterfront home, then pay the F'n insurance yourself.
The house in question pays 50,000$ a year in property tax. As of each of his neighbors, they are contributing their fare share…

The house in question pays 50,000$ a year in property tax. As of each of his neighbors, they are contributing their fare share…
Please address YY1 ' s comments. What about that scenario ? Are people subsidizing others ? I'm not referring to the emergency and infrastructure costs, I agree with you. But, according to that post, other people are subsidizing the high cost of INSURANCE for the waterfront homes with tax dollars. What say you ?

As I have had it explained to me by my daughter, who works in the insurance industry, if you are insured by ABC Ins. Co., your premiums, as well as all those from other customers, go into a giant "pot". Most large companies are National, if not International. If a regional disaster, such as the one currently in Florida occurs, claims are paid out of this national insurance "pot", that has your $$$ in it, as well as $$$ from the rest of the nation, be it Hawaii, Alaska, or Kansas. The Florida claims are not paid out only from premiums collected in Florida. Premium payers across the country are helping out the reconstruction of Florida. In another disaster, say in South Dakota for example, your $$$ collected by ABC Ins. Co. in Florida go to help them out. As this national insurance pot of $$$ is depleted, premiums are raised to recoup it. In theory, by spreading the pain countrywide, an individual in the affected area is saved from a crippeling rise in insurance cost. Again, in theory, a disaster can happen anywhere. I cannot speak to the use of tax $$$ being used as a subsidy.

I chose to live inland a bit in east Tampa. All I got was sporadic sprinkles and moderate wind. I mowed the yard today and there is no trace there was even a storm. Oh, my trash can was blown over too.

F-in-Law lost his pool enclosure, lanai, and his boat dock "cover" and the bar/sitting area on same. Other than that his house is still water tight... with no power. Transformer lying on the front yard.
cridfloridadamage2.jpeg
cridfloridadamage1.jpeg

As I have had it explained to me by my daughter, who works in the insurance industry, if you are insured by ABC Ins. Co., your premiums, as well as all those from other customers, go into a giant "pot". Most large companies are National, if not International. If a regional disaster, such as the one currently in Florida occurs, claims are paid out of this national insurance "pot", that has your $$$ in it, as well as $$$ from the rest of the nation, be it Hawaii, Alaska, or Kansas. The Florida claims are not paid out only from premiums collected in Florida. Premium payers across the country are helping out the reconstruction of Florida. In another disaster, say in South Dakota for example, your $$$ collected by ABC Ins. Co. in Florida go to help them out. As this national insurance pot of $$$ is depleted, premiums are raised to recoup it. In theory, by spreading the pain countrywide, an individual in the affected area is saved from a crippeling rise in insurance cost. Again, in theory, a disaster can happen anywhere. I cannot speak to the use of tax $$$ being used as a subsidy.
Also why many insurance companies do business in one state, not just one, spread the pain and gain around. Well written!!

Guys, Federal "assistance" is NOT insurance!!! It does in no way "cover your losses" and is not designed to do so. It helps people find a place to stay for a short time and provides essentials, but that is all. There are also low-interest loans that are available.

In 2003, my home and shop were destroyed in a tornado. My insurance covered my cars and home, but not 100%. I applied for FEMA help (not because I really wanted to or needed to), but did not qualify. Why? I had INSURANCE. The Feds do NOT "bail people out" of disaster costs. My neighbor had a beef with his insurance company one week before that tornado. He had an expensive Spanish-style tile roof that was destroyed. FEMA helped with 50% of the costs for a standard shingle roof replacement.

And for you guys whining about rebuilding in disaster-prone areas, where exactly in the United States is "safe"??? Every single square inch of this nation has its hazards - TO WHIT: Floods, hurricanes/storm surges, tornadoes, hail, blizzards, ice storms, avalanches, landslides, earthquakes, tidal waves, extreme drought, unusually hot/cold weather, wildfires, blowing sand, nuclear plant meltdown, refinery explosions, and more. Is your area free from ALL of these? Of course not. If we shouldn't help provide assistance to Florida, then we should not provide assistance to anyone, right???

Believe me, I pay out the *** for insurance in Oklahoma, for auto and home owners policies. My sister in Nevada pays far less for homeowners; but more for vehicle insurance, due to the number of drunk drivers per capita in Nevada.

Last edited:
In talking about being hit by a hurricane. I have been watching this storm for quite a while, seeing where it had been and where it was headed according to the models. One thing that I noticed was it’s approach and strike on the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson. I have visited the island by boat a couple of times and walked all around the fort, so it peaked my interest at “landfall”. They have been talking about the number of times the storm struck land, but I never heard anything on these islands. From what I saw, the storm got stronger and the eye wall expanded to reveal the islands. Maybe they are not counting this as the first landfall because of it being an island. Anyway, I found this interesting site .
UPDATE 4: Dry Tortugas Partially Re-opens After Hurricane Ian

Auto Transport Service
Back