• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heater Core Bypass

'73bird

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
Anyway to by pass the heater core in a 1974 Plymouth Satellite with a 440 w/o the valve?

Sure....piece of cake. Just take the two hoses that go to the heater core & disconnect them at the firewall. Connect those two hoses together. You may need a 1/2" to 5/8" plumbing adapter you can get at any hardware store and a couple clamps & you're done.....30 min. job.

Sure....piece of cake. Just take the two hoses that go to the heater core & disconnect them at the firewall. Connect those two hoses together. You may need a 1/2" to 5/8" plumbing adapter you can get at any hardware store and a couple clamps & you're done.....30 min. job.

Thanks as my car is leaking water from the frame just behind the front tire/firewall when it starts for a min. I haven't been able to get it to run for a significant period in order to run the heater to get the water into it so Im not sure if its bad or just closed and the water it just building up and running out.

More than one way to skin this cat.
th
th
th

Or plug off the holes in water pump if available. If aftermarket water pump that's another easy way.

Take the tubes out of the water pump and the take those over to Home Depot and buy some threaded plugs that match the threads of the tubes you took out. Then cap the heater core tubes off with anything that makes it look good. Basically what was suggested above but in more detail.

Take the tubes out of the water pump and the take those over to Home Depot and buy some threaded plugs that match the threads of the tubes you took out. Then cap the heater core tubes off with anything that makes it look good. Basically what was suggested above but in more detail.
Hopefully they come out

Thanks for all the help. Once my square bore to spread bore adapter plate arrives and I put the 4 bbl on it get it started and see if turning on the heater for awhile doesn't cure the problem I will defiantly look into a few of the fixes here.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back