• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Replacing window channel guide.

Newkidonthebloc

Local time
6:14 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,

My 67 coronet driver side window is currently detached from the front window channel atm. I have bought the right channel guide and time has come to put it in. My question to you is: Do I have to remove the window together with the mechanism for the door in order to put in this guide OR is there another way where I can remove just the glass? (please note that I do not have any other spare parts like the plastic plug keeping the glass in place)

I hope one of you guys have gone through this in the past and can tell what the best way it to mount the guide.

Best,

Thom

DriversideDoor.png

There is a way to pull the glass, install the new guide and reinstall the glass without pulling the vent assembly. Lower the glass to the bottom and remove the rear channel guide. Remove the screw and rubber molding at the top of the vent window. That allows you to pull the track piece out from the vent frame slightly, exposing the track. Brace it open with something to where the track slide is just barely exposed enough to let the glass slide out. You can then remove the plastic pin, disconnect it from the regulator assembly and slide the glass up and out. It looks like your window wipes are not installed so I would tape the edges to protect the paint. I usually have my regulator out when doing this but it probably isn’t necessary. At most you may have to unbolt it and let it rest in the bottom of the door. Installation is the same in reverse order.

There is a way to pull the glass, install the new guide and reinstall the glass without pulling the vent assembly. Lower the glass to the bottom and remove the rear channel guide. Remove the screw and rubber molding at the top of the vent window. That allows you to pull the track piece out from the vent frame slightly, exposing the track. Brace it open with something to where the track slide is just barely exposed enough to let the glass slide out. You can then remove the plastic pin, disconnect it from the regulator assembly and slide the glass up and out. It looks like your window wipes are not installed so I would tape the edges to protect the paint. I usually have my regulator out when doing this but it probably isn’t necessary. At most you may have to unbolt it and let it rest in the bottom of the door. Installation is the same in reverse order.

Thanks this is really helpfull! I have the window wipes cut to length but I guessed the install would be easier with out them on the door. Thanks alot!

I forgot to mention that sometimes when splitting the channel and vent frame apart the vent glass rubber may pull out of the channel partly. Just spray it with silicon spray and it will push back in without a lot of trouble. As a preventive measure you might want to put a tube on the silicon spray and stick in along the rubber in the vertical track and lube it up so it will slide out when you separate the track at the top and not risk it tearing.

Since your glass seems to be out of the front track now, you may need to remove the plastic or metal glides that are pinned on, from it while still in the door, so the front will slide out in the front track. There isn’t a lot of excess opening in the window slot length for it to clear.

What @AR67GTX said is on the money.
One thing to consider, however, is the plastic guide and clip. The last time I looked, the new guides and clips that are available have some fitment problems. They bind due to the fact they are not curved like the originals and the clips are larger than the originals. There may also be some trimming that needs to be done. There are threads about this. If your originals are in decent shape but the flocking is gone they can be re-flocked. Which is what I did to mine.

guide 1 copy.jpeg IMG_2225 copy.JPG

Hey all,

My 67 coronet driver side window is currently detached from the front window channel atm. I have bought the right channel guide and time has come to put it in. My question to you is: Do I have to remove the window together with the mechanism for the door in order to put in this guide OR is there another way where I can remove just the glass? (please note that I do not have any other spare parts like the plastic plug keeping the glass in place)

I hope one of you guys have gone through this in the past and can tell what the best way it to mount the guide.

Best,

Thom

View attachment 1229932
hello
i am in New zealand
i have a 67 coronet 500 convertible
someone put some front speakers in the door and made a mess.
i saw your post post on the window issue and noticed your door is in very good condition
if you still have you door apart i was wondering if you could please take some close up photos for me so i can reconstruct panel and brace inside door.
i will put post some pictures some pictures of my door so you can see the detail i need of a good door.
if your door is all back together dont pull it apart .
thank Will from nz

door hacked 1.jpg
internal door brace.jpg
door hacked 1.jpg

I just put my windows together this past weekend. The above replies are spot on. Here is how to pry the top of the vent wing channel open to slide the glass in.

20220212_063211.jpg 20220212_063224.jpg

Have problems with my window not rolling up and down. Guess all that was available was the straight guides. Parts mix now has the curved ones back in stock. These things are a pain in the butt for sure. They tear easy being made of type of material they are. Don't forget to cut top to allow for the snubber at the top. Good luck I had to order two set's due to the sharp edge at top of the vent window channel.

Auto Transport Service
Back