• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help With weathers-Strip Channel and Drip Rail Seal Foam Strips

rebootej

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi guys well I feel silly but i cant figure this out. Im putting my 74 satellite back together after paint. I ordered the paint gasket set from Detroit Technologies. In the kit is "weathers-strip channel and drip rail seal foam strips 4 rolls". Im not sure where the second set of foam seals goes? I only remember removing one from my car. I checked the tech page on detroits website and this is what he had listed.

"71-74 B Body
1/8" x 7/8" single sided adhesive dark gray foam tape is applied to the back of the stainless drip rail. The stainless drip rail is then screwed to the roof. This foam tape seals the drip rail to the roof.
1/8" x 7/8" black poly foam strips seal between the galvanized weatherstrip channel (that the door window weatherstrip snaps into) and the stainless drip rail. The factory apparently used some type of adhesive. Possibly a PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive tape). This was mainly for assembly line convenience. A few dabs of yellow or black 3M weatherstrip adhesive to hold the strip to the back of the weatherstrip channel during assembly should be all that's required. "

Am I missing something major here? I only have one piece that attaches to the roof and holds the weatherstrip in. It is both galvanized and and has a stainless decorative piece but its all one part. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT-
Pulled the the extra part off of my donor. This is the only part attached to the roof?
IMG_0704.JPG

Heres pics of what i pulled off of my donor. To confirm that i only had one foam sealer strip.

001rs.jpg

002rs.jpg

003rs.jpg

004rs.jpg

Here are the 4 rolls detroit sent me

!BqThJ5!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKkIEu,beM5MJBLvMbcDL1g~~_35.JPG

You only need the foam for the weatherstrip channel that goes between it and the roof. I was confused on this as well when i did my 73.

Thank you! i had a feeling thats how it would be but really wanted to be sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back