• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi street intake gasket clearance on end wall?

Well, I wimped out. After cutting the rest of my samples open at 96 hours and finding the same thing as above, I went with the Fel Pro cork end gaskets. Used RTV on the ends and applied Permatex gasket sealer to gasket and metal surfaces and dropped the manifold on it. Also put end wall shield plates I fabricated on to minimize oil spray on the joint areas. The more I thought about trying to separate Right Stuff and cleanup if it leaked again, the less I liked the idea. Stuck with what I’m comfortable with. We have crappy weather now so may be a few days before it gets tested.
If you knew you could seal it properly with the cork, that's fine. The key is coating the inner portion with silicone so it doesn't weep through the cork. Cork works good, but for so long. Every mechanical shop rtvs that style of intake nowadays.

Certainly a possibility of a blowby on the front crank seal , or timing chain cover corners, brake clean it and recheck

I sprayed the ends of the gaskets with Permatex Gasket Sealer. We’ll see how that works. I don’t like how the Fel Pro pieces stick out on the back side about 1/8” (due to their drilling for the dowels) and narrow at the sides where meeting the side gaskets. If it starts weaping again I bought some bulk .062 cork gasket material and plan to build my own composite end gaskets out of two layers of cork glued to both sides of a 24 ga or 22 ga metal insert with Right Stuff for roughly a .145” gasket. But so far so good.

I‘m now thinking that drop on the oil pan could be antifreeze from a radiator hose seep I had when I didn’t get a clamp seated right on a hose and some coolant got down along the radiator bottom and blew back. Still watching it.

For inexplainable reasons I removed the left valve cover when first trying to remove the well- adhered intake the first time. It appears my cork gaskets on the valve cover didn’t like that and now it’s dripping slowly from the back, lower corner. And the fuel pump has a slight leak. So, more gasket replacement. But at least the intake appears to be sealed up tight for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back